Your Views: Which Is The Best OS?

DaTa UnLeAsHeD said:
Everybody says XP is god of the OS's because it is so damn easy to use. If you look at it in depth, it's not that brilliant at all.

OK it's quite stable as Windows goes, can recover from a major crash easily and all that, but look at the security.
How many patches did you need to download after you installed XP? Exactly, fucking loads.

Don't get me wrong, i'm an XP user, i'm using it now in fact, I just don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be.

As for dissing Win98, wtf is that about? That's was one of the smoothest of the Windows versions. Yeah it had errors, yeah it was harder to use than XP, but if you ask most advanced 30yr+ computer user, he will probably have a dual-boot XP-98 setup.

You only have to do that because it is about two and a half years old; and you're likely as most people who like computers to have a really old original pre-SP1 version. Also now technology is going up rapidly and so there must be more updates; and Hackers like Windows more now than they did with Windows 98 - the Internet is more powerful and there is more internet and more Viruses. 98 working as a computer like I use mine or most people on here use their's would simply not work.

98 is not harder to use than XP; its exactly the same ease of use - XP is just more pleasant. I can do everything I can do on XP on 98 as easily; but there are things I can't do on 98 which I can do on XP.; mainly because they don't exist. Has anybody here previous to that post you just made 'Dissed' (what sort of a stupid word is that to use in a heated debate); or as reasonable people would say insulted Windows 98? Saying XP is better than 98, which I don't even think somebody did anyway is not an insult - its a personal opinion backed if they said it by a reason.

Most advanced 30+ computer users? Thats a very select bracket isn't it? :D The question is; why in this particular bracket's (no offence to David meant) wisdom and experience do they use XP aswell if 98 is so brilliant; so useful; and so much better than XP?

DaTa UnLeAsHeD said:
Plus, most people who say "woo XP" are just kids who don't know how to use a computer and have used Windows all their life and are too narrow minded/inexperienced to judge an OS.

Just my thoughts...
:D

I'll have to pretend there was no, whats the low brow term? 'Dissing' in that part of your post. Just Kids? Don't know how you use a Computer? Inexperienced? I realise you said most; but still, you say that on a Forum where we have people like Matt, Rocker, Geforceboy and to a lesser extent myself? Although Rocker won't say 'Woo XP'. I think thats a pretty big generalisation to make.

DaTa UnLeAsHeD said:
Lol!!
No don't worry, I won't be saying 95 is nice. I'd have to be on hard drugs to say that.

No I wouldn't use 98 anymore, not for everyday usage, as I agree it cannot handle the power/memory in demand these days. However, if tweaked and maintained by experienced users it was ideal for gaming even. Not any more though, not with today's high power games. A couple of years ago, it was very popular, and so I guess that's why many people kept it.

Why do you not think it can not be dual-booted with XP? If you do it right you can dual-boot most OS's. It might be difficult sometimes, depending on your system's current config, etc, but it's possible nonetheless. I know of computers running every single Windows OS. I wouldn't do it on my main computer personally, too unstable.

I didn't mean that all people who like XP are narrow minded, obviously this would be stupid as you just proved that you are not.

It seems to me that you had a bad experience with 98. That wouldn't surprise me relally.

Thanks for your post!
I don't know about Compaq; but I had exceptional experiences with 98, its did what I wanted and introduced me to the internet. A couple of years ago it was very popular because a couple of years ago XP wasn't there and lets face it: however much Bluto says it isn't; Windows Me was not much against 98. I don't know whether you can or cannot Dual-Boot 98 and XP together; I don't know how stable it is; because its a basically silly thing to do isn't it. Windows is WIndows whether from the Home or Pro range (98 and NT) before XP. XP is built although mostly from 2000 also from Me which in turn is built on 98: eg why use something that is 6 years old when the thing which is two and a half years old is physically better than the older version? In turn; if 98 is so much better why use XP aswell? It would be hypocritical to use both instead of chose a side like an honourable person.

EDIT: Isn't it interesting how Mac and Linux aren't even coming up in the Best OS Thread? :D

Oh yeah. They haven't come up in any major quantity. Good sign of how brilliant Windows is when in a Best OS Thread the only major battle is between different versions of Windows! :D

XP sux, 2000 is stupid, 98 is unstable, Windows is evil
Use Gnu-Linux all the way!

Thats a very inprecise description and explanation or why Windows is Evil and Linux is the best isn't it?

I think we need an explanation before we start going to Reading to egg the Microsoft Buildings and start installing Gnu-Linux.

you can praise windows all you want, but EVERY major company out there uses Linux. Perhaps it's ok for home use, but trust me, closed-source will fail in 5-10 years. Most of Asia doesn't use windows, they all switched to open-source a long long time ago, and I think we should all do the same.

Im not saying Windows is BAD. I mean its the best OS for gaming and perhaps some everyday tasks. But it has it's limitations, and those limitations will eventually lead to the end of it's domincance. :D :D

rakedog said:
you can praise windows all you want, but EVERY major company out there uses Linux. Perhaps it's ok for home use, but trust me, closed-source will fail in 5-10 years. Most of Asia doesn't use windows, they all switched to open-source a long long time ago, and I think we should all do the same.
And so I shall! :D

Every Major Company out there uses Linux for what exactly? Enlighten us? How much more Windows do all these major companies use please tell us? :D I wouldn't trust you as far as I could throw you when it comes to your Notradamus style visions of the future. Most of Asia is a in no uncertain terms a piss-bucket of technology; I will not loose sleep knowing that even half of the computers in Asia use Linux. Its becuase they're cheap and they don't want to pay for superior software. Linux has only been there for, what? a year? three tops. Linux will not even last 5 years major because of the inherent problems in Open-Source. I think Linux; like the UK Independence Party is having its moment of glory perhaps and that it will not be long lived - but I don't say it outright do I?

rakedog said:
Im not saying Windows is BAD. I mean its the best OS for gaming and perhaps some everyday tasks. But it has it's limitations, and those limitations will eventually lead to the end of it's domincance. :D :D

Could you please point out to us what these Limitations are? I'm sorry if I do not realise through your extensive and may I add very precise definition of all the limitations of the 95% of the Worlds Computers' OS what exactly the limitations are? :D

Up to know; however sarcastic I was there - you have not been very explanitory - if you're going to survive in this depate please try.

it never ends does it and no i didnt have a bad experience with 98 i still use it on my older machines i can just see it for what it is a PILE OF SHIT.
I have also used Linux you could have your tea and have a crap by the time its loaded all its crap and checked everything 5 times its rubbish and very resource hungry.
Why bother posting here if your just gonna call windows crap all the time i dont sit here and drag other systems down i come on here to help others.

The best os is the one you happen to be able to afford.
No money- but youve got 98-then its the best.
Linux is to hard to set up correctly for most people.
However the reason linux is starting to capture more market share is because at the current time it is a more secure system. look at all the posts right here on this board at the current moment Ive directly tried to advise 3 people how to undo damage. However as the use of linux increases so will the crackers attempts to compromise it.
Open source has 1 big advantage to large companies though.
They can hire programmers to modify it to there needs.
You can't do that with microsoft products or Unix legally.

Back
Top Bottom