Formatting Help

Ducesta22

Beta member
I use Windows XP. And I have a bunch of problems with my computer so I backed up all the files I wanted (Music and Personal Documents) to another computer on my home network.

I went in the Run: cmd thingy and typed Format C:
and this is what happened.....

C:\>formtat c:
The type of file system is NTFS.

WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK
DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST!
Proceed with Format (Y/N) y
Verrifying 39997M

Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force dismount on this volume? (Y/N) y
Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone knows what to do to fix this or what I should do plese reply.

Ducesta22 said:
I use Windows XP. And I have a bunch of problems with my computer so I backed up all the files I wanted (Music and Personal Documents) to another computer on my home network.

I went in the Run: cmd thingy and typed Format C:
and this is what happened.....

C:\>formtat c:
The type of file system is NTFS.

WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK
DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST!
Proceed with Format (Y/N) y
Verrifying 39997M

Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force dismount on this volume? (Y/N) y
Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone knows what to do to fix this or what I should do plese reply.

You can't run Format from Windows; either you can make an MSDOS Startup Disk by Formatting a Floppy and telling it to create an MSDOS Startup Disk; or much easier would be to use the XP CD that came with your computer to format your hard drive and reinstall XP.

Lord Kalthorn said:
You can't run Format from Windows; either you can make an MSDOS Startup Disk by Formatting a Floppy and telling it to create an MSDOS Startup Disk; or much easier would be to use the XP CD that came with your computer to format your hard drive and reinstall XP.
It is strange though that a right click of C drive give you the option to Format.So what happens when Format.com gets deleted ?

It might be usefull for al those other 60's.
:D

Lol; you're mad. It give you that choice because you can do it with any drive - and the C:\ Drive is not always the Windows Drive. It soon says it can't do it anyway.

You've changed your avatar! Still ATi (Resently voted Advanced Twit's Institute in a Survey of all the Lords using my IP Address); but not Radion now?

Lord Kalthorn said:
Lol; you're mad. It give you that choice because you can do it with any drive - and the C:\ Drive is not always the Windows Drive. It soon says it can't do it anyway.

You've changed your avatar! Still ATi (Resently voted Advanced Twit's Institute in a Survey of all the Lords using my IP Address); but not Radion now?
So know you know why people have problems
as most application,updates,and many other tasks expect Windows to be on C drive.and a cdrom as D drive.Don't mention 2 OS's thats another thing.Maybe C on 1 hd and c on another is possible,Junior.

bluto said:
as most application,updates,and many other tasks expect Windows to be on C drive.and a cdrom as D drive.Don't mention 2 OS's thats another thing.Maybe C on 1 hd and c on another is possible,Junior.
As far as I know; it isn't. If you want both OSs to recognise the both drives called C, Old Man. :p

Not many; I had Windows on the E: Drive for ages last year on an old computer and it worked fine. Most games which I wanted on the C: Drive to keep them off the Windows Drives wanted to go on E: and I had to change them to C:. Maybe its an Me thing?

bluto said:
Actually most applications and updates (if ade well) expect the system drive to be %system%...

it's only if you make poor applications and hardcode aths in that people run into trouble...

root said:
Actually most applications and updates (if ade well) expect the system drive to be %system%...

it's only if you make poor applications and hardcode aths in that people run into trouble...
root
please edit this when your sober.I hope you didn't mistype hardcore.
:eek:

Back
Top Bottom