spyware?

ste2k3

Beta member
I must firstly say, I only know a little about computers. I have had ythe computer for about 6 months now and use the internet at least for 2-3 hours a day. recently, it has started to run very slow and when ever I close a box, I get streams of popups (40 or more at a time) all from the same place. I have a pop up blocker ad this just has a little box that pops up for a second in the bottom left of the screen which says pop up blocked from such a place and and option to view it. when I get a stream of them at once, these boxes fill the side of the screen and after a short while 30 seconds of constant pop ups (1 or 2 a second) the bar at the bottom of the screen with the start button on it disapeers. I am running a packard bell PC with an intel pentium 4, windows XP and run BT yahoo broadband. I have done some searches on this site but I have already done suggested info such as:

delete temperory internet files/cookies
downloaded spybot S & D
downloaded adaware and run both

when ever I run them they always find 1 or 2 problems which I delete although if I go on the internet straight away after running them, I have the same problem. I can't use the E-mail as I get streams of pop-ups which cause the page top freeze and it says that the program is not responding and the internet and mail close and I'm left with a blank screen with no start buttom.

This is getting really frustrating now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ste :confused:

For the following I am assuming that you are on a windows box...

That does sound like some kind of spyware. First of all, I see that you DL'd spybot and adaware, but did you click the little "get updates" buttons on both before running them? If you don't,they may not have the update that detects this. If this doesn't work, try to get the name of the popups (the site or title or whatever). Onc eyou have the name, do this:
Hit windows+R (the windows key is the one with the flag)
type in the box that comes up msconfig
click the (probably) last tab labeled "startup"
look through the list and un-check everything that has anything to do with the program (you can tell be looking at the title).

BE CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS, IF YOU IUNCHECK CERTAIN THINGS< YOU MAY NOT HAVE FUN TRYING TO GET STARTED UP NEXT TIME> ONLY DO THINGS THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE PROGRAM.

OK...with that said, if this doesn't work, post the name of the spyware that spybot/adaware finds, and I'll try to look up some removal instructions.

Itsme

thanks

Thanks, I got to that box but couldn't find anything like the pop up name?. the pop up says blocked from msie.tv

thanks again for the help.

ste :)

I'll look into it - I don't have my computer now because I just moved, but once I get it all up and running I'll try to help out.

Itsme

thank you

thanks, It won't let me email either as I just tried and I get bombarded with pop-ups and it just freezes and says "program not responding"

thanks again

ste

?

where abouts is the adaware post?

thanks again for all the help. It still won't let me email, freezes periodicaly, runs slow and the shortcuts have gone from my desktop :rolleyes:

ste : :(

That looks like some kind of virus...I can't find any removal instructinos, which is really weird. I did find one site that wouldn't even fully load that did imply that this was some kind of virus, but I have no idea how to get rid of it (unless it maybe goes under another alias?). Anyway, you can try updating spyware and DLing adaware (its a "lavasoft" product - go to their site; free) and update both. hopefully itll work after then, but please reply once you try this stuff.

Thanks,
Itsme
P.S. - I'm moved - so therefore I'm back :)

Back
Top Bottom