drives not cooperating

dougscar56

Beta member
Ok, any time I try to add a drive, like a card writer or a floppy drive, it tells me that the disk I have is not formatted. After formatting it does the same thing. I have tried adding a Hard drive as well, and it does not show up. I configured the jumpers correctly and even played around with it, but I cant get the second hard drive to work. My floppy drive shows up even when it's not plugged in. I know this is really weird, but hopefuly some one can help. I have windows XP running, home edition, and upgraded from 98. The harddrive and floppy drive used to work, but quit working before I upgraded, so I dont think the upgrade had anything to do with it. Hope some one knows what the prob is!

dougscar56 said:
Ok, any time I try to add a drive, like a card writer or a floppy drive, it tells me that the disk I have is not formatted. After formatting it does the same thing. I have tried adding a Hard drive as well, and it does not show up. I configured the jumpers correctly and even played around with it, but I cant get the second hard drive to work. My floppy drive shows up even when it's not plugged in. I know this is really weird, but hopefuly some one can help. I have windows XP running, home edition, and upgraded from 98. The harddrive and floppy drive used to work, but quit working before I upgraded, so I dont think the upgrade had anything to do with it. Hope some one knows what the prob is!
Do you have a floppy "DISK" not a drive you can read somewhere else ?
This is a wild guess as i could ask many other ?"s.
Perhaps a 98 to XP upgrade doesn't have the stuff a Full XP installation might.
Call BG. :mad: ;) :D

on the problem of your hard drive not showing up: How do you install your second hard drive? as secondary master or as slave? try experimenting with seconday slave and primary slave. if you do have a CD-rom, try installing your hard drive in that slot. If still nothing happens, i tried this one last month, I have the same problem, the secondary drive won't show up. What i did is i connect it as secondary master but not mounting it inside my pc case. i just layed it in a non static plastic just outside my pc case and it works! It seems that my case is grounded or something. With a little bit of checking on some parts, and ensuring my HD wont touch any metal parts inside the case it works just fine. But i will be replacing my case this coming weeks. So try this one. But Becareful in doing so. Be very careful!

This is just a matter of knowing how to set jumpers to Master or slave.I have found that hd's usually come as Masters.so it's Primary and Secondary/
CD devices usually arrive set as slaves.But you have to get to know how to check this,oem devices can give you this headache.

its possible you have a hardware problem, if you can access disk drives from dos but not windows then you have a crashed windows setup or virus. if you cannot access floppies from dos your motherboard probably has a defective port.
If you do not know how to use dos-you need to call a tech or take it in.
I forgot you have to tell your bios theres another hardrive installed and set its perameters and make sure a floppy is turned on in the bios.

GaryG said:
its possible you have a hardware problem, if you can access disk drives from dos but not windows then you have a crashed windows setup or virus. if you cannot access floppies from dos your motherboard probably has a defective port.
If you do not know how to use dos-you need to call a tech or take it in.
Great advice maybe,but does XP have a Dos mode ?
Beside where is Posted by dougscar56 got to ?
Can't be that big a problem if C:\Windows works,right ?
:confused:

Its called a disk

Yea its called a floppy disk with dos on it-an emergency boot disk all versions of windows make them. You can also boot to dos in xp right from the cd. and millenium and 98. Though xps version is limited thats why I always keep all my old os. I use a win98 boot disk to fix computers more than anything else. So long as they are oem style versions. if there upgrades they won't work as boot disks. Most bios allow you to boot from a cdrom a floppy a network- pretty much anywhere now. you could even boot from the internet with dsl or cable if someone where nice enough to put an os and kernal on the net. As to where he went I dunno-If he can't read a harddrive hes in trouble id say-but he probably has the jumpers wrong to set up a secondary. Another little known fact-if you use two harddrives and hook the second one up to your cdrom cable the drive will slow to the speed of the cdrom. Always hook two drives on the main together and then hook your burner and cdrom on the secondary.

It seems XP is the newbie sollusion but you and i are happy we didn't get our start there,right ? 3-95-98-me.
over to you.
:D

Im afraid my start was a little before your time-Like around 1971
Im 50 and played with basic in college. tictactoe was done on a teletype, draw the board place an x draw the board place a 0
It took over 25 minutes to play one game.

GaryG said:
Im afraid my start was a little before your time-Like around 1971
Im 50 and played with basic in college. tictactoe was done on a teletype, draw the board place an x draw the board place a 0
It took over 25 minutes to play one game.
Before 1934,you got that wrong,
Yes i'm still "Lost in the Fifties"
71 sucks.Thats when things fell apart,you had to be there with Elvis.
;)

Back
Top Bottom