Your Views: Which Is The Best OS?

CoMpUtaFrEek

Fully Optimized
Personally I'm using Windows 2000 Professional with all the updates. Has very good compatibility with games/hardware/software, runs smoothly, and I can mess with registry and other stuff easily.

I would never touch 98 again, all of those "illegal operation error" *shudders*

xp speaks for itself, i wont even go into that disaster area... lol

What do you all think?

J

PS: DOS ownz all OS

Thats a hard question - It really depends on what I'd be using it for. For server - Linux based. For Gaming/Ease of use - DOS based. For Editing/Graphical Design - Mac. Those are the only three, but the main three...

Itsme

XP a disaster area what are you on ? its the best version of windows yet
its stable and very reliable i use it as my server software for my network
at home the computer is switched on more or less 24/7 and i have had no problems.

Linux:

Good for servers and networks

Windows:

Good for games, programs

Macs:

........sigh

Windows XP Professional by far the greatest OS Microsoft have come up with so far. Works a dream. Win 98 the worst one ever. I am running XP pro but an Win ME in my VMWARE which enables me to play DOS games as well. You are sorted then for ALL games

CoMpUtaFrEek said:
Personally I'm using Windows 2000 Professional with all the updates. Has very good compatibility with games/hardware/software, runs smoothly, and I can mess with registry and other stuff easily.

I would never touch 98 again, all of those "illegal operation error" *shudders*

xp speaks for itself, i wont even go into that disaster area... lol

What do you all think?

J

PS: DOS ownz all OS

XP Speaks for itself in that it is the best OS out there - I have used XP unformatted and unreinstalled for almost 2 and a half years now and it continues to work perfectly. It crashes only when its my fault and I've done something wrong; and it doesn't do it half the times I do that anyway. XP is the most stable, secure, and brilliant OS that I know of.

Everybody says XP is god of the OS's because it is so damn easy to use. If you look at it in depth, it's not that brilliant at all.

OK it's quite stable as Windows goes, can recover from a major crash easily and all that, but look at the security.
How many patches did you need to download after you installed XP? Exactly, fucking loads.

Don't get me wrong, i'm an XP user, i'm using it now in fact, I just don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be.

As for dissing Win98, wtf is that about? That's was one of the smoothest of the Windows versions. Yeah it had errors, yeah it was harder to use than XP, but if you ask most advanced 30yr+ computer user, he will probably have a dual-boot XP-98 setup.

Plus, most people who say "woo XP" are just kids who don't know how to use a computer and have used Windows all their life and are too narrow minded/inexperienced to judge an OS.

Just my thoughts...

you make me laugh im i wouldnt bring 98 anywhere near xp as for dual booting i dont think so.

if you run a modern system 98 is no good ........

1 its incompatable with usb2 it falls over
2 cant address more than 512mb of ram it locks up.
3 doesnt like the majority of modern graphics cards.

4 has a registry that looks like moths have been at it.

And no im not a kid im 35 years old and my system dual boots xp home /xp pro 64bit beta and very nice it is too.

as too being narrow minded you can blow 98 out your ass.

suppose you will be saying 95 is nice as well next ?

just my opinion

Lol!!
No don't worry, I won't be saying 95 is nice. I'd have to be on hard drugs to say that.

No I wouldn't use 98 anymore, not for everyday usage, as I agree it cannot handle the power/memory in demand these days. However, if tweaked and maintained by experienced users it was ideal for gaming even. Not any more though, not with today's high power games. A couple of years ago, it was very popular, and so I guess that's why many people kept it.

Why do you not think it can not be dual-booted with XP? If you do it right you can dual-boot most OS's. It might be difficult sometimes, depending on your system's current config, etc, but it's possible nonetheless. I know of computers running every single Windows OS. I wouldn't do it on my main computer personally, too unstable.

I didn't mean that all people who like XP are narrow minded, obviously this would be stupid as you just proved that you are not.

It seems to me that you had a bad experience with 98. That wouldn't surprise me relally.

Thanks for your post!

Back
Top Bottom