What is a .EXE file?

This is all pretty childish. yes, you can edit exe's, but he did not know how. Give him a break for trying something out. A 14 year old would not have been to college yet, which is a fine reason why he wouldn't have a college education. Lets all leave it at this:

He will have to learn how to program if he wants to create exes.

Now my advice to you, Gonavitch, is to learn python. It will not create exes without another program such as py2exe, but it is pretty easy to learn (google it), and the py files should do whatever you have in mind for now (when you want to get advanced I'd recommend C, C++, or C#

Thank you for your time everyone,
Itsme

Itsme said:
This is all pretty childish. yes, you can edit exe's, but he did not know how. Give him a break for trying something out. A 14 year old would not have been to college yet, which is a fine reason why he wouldn't have a college education. Lets all leave it at this:

Now my advice to you, Gonavitch, is to learn python. It will not create exes without another program such as py2exe, but it is pretty easy to learn (google it), and the py files should do whatever you have in mind for now (when you want to get advanced I'd recommend C, C++, or C#

Thank you for your time everyone,
Itsme
My point,You edit what will "become an exe"
...You cannot edit,
DRWATSON.EXE Can you ???
:rolleyes:

But I already prooved you can edit an exe file directly, the processors have a fixed instruction set, you just need to know what ascii character is what hex number (admitidly I cheated and used a hex editor).

But you can change instructions, Identify memory links, add bits take bits out, The only thing is you need to know how to do it.

The only thing that was lackng was the knowledge on how to do it, It is possible to create and edit exe files in hex, or using the ascii chars that represent the hex.

Yes, I know that you can edit them, but I thought that to compile them you would need some other program after they've been edited. You are 100% correct about the editing thing though. My other post was a little vague - I meant compile. I just didnt think there was a way to edit and when you hit save it'll be a new exe file. Then again, I'm not 100% sure ;)

Itsme

no, compiling a program is basically recoding it from whatever script language you use into HEX values. which we call a binary file as hex is the easiest way for a human to understand binary.

If you already have the compiled binary you can edit that, assuming of couse that you understand completly what is going on and where does what and so on.

yes root is absolutly correct (after all root == god)

you can edit a binary executable of any platform provided you have a way to edit all of the individual bytes.

the reason why simple copy and paste with notepad doesn't work is that not all the bytes were copied over. using a specialized editor (hex editor in this case) you can use copy & paste to make duplicates of an exe file.

remember, you are working directly with machine code, so be sure you're editing something you wouldn't care loosing :)

remember, you are working directly with machine code, so be sure you're editing something you wouldn't care loosing

Very true. I guess I should start with Win ME? ;)

Itsme

Back
Top Bottom