comp blinking/ restarting/ shutting win explorer randomly

rsu1

Solid State Member
Hi,
i don't know much about computers but i'm having a really anoying problem with my computer as its just shutting windows explorer down randomly and sometimes the system just resets itself (i've turned this feature off in win xp pro and now i get a blue screen saying something like 'begining dump of physical memory') and have errors such as 'bad_pool_caller, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT tech info. STOP:0X0000004E, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, and i've also seen stuff like win32k.sys. In windows event viewer alot of the errors' sources are 'application errors', or 'application hang' and also 'crypt32'
i think my problem might be linked to this 32.sys thing but does anybody outthere no what it is?
The restartin of my comp only seems to happen when i'm doing a few things at once (its ok when just using something like m.word). My set up is athlon 1800XP, 256mb memory, 40gb hd, geforce 2 64mb, qdi motherboard 266 i think. The other day i switched my memory to another 256mb and this stopped the blinking and reseting but not the problem of win explorer closing, and about once after an hour of putting the memory in the computer and using it intensly it started to run really slow, but was fine again when re-booting.
I had this problem about a year ago and took my comp to a shop to get it fixed, apparently my hard drive was corrupted or something, and they fixed it without putting a new one in. They said my cpu temperature was fine, and i've also recently checked and it should be ok. I don't get how changing the memory stopped the blinking and reseting though.
Is there also a patch to stop the windows error message appearing?
btw formatting didn't solve this problem, and once, i can't remember if it was related to this problem i'm having but a XP error message said instable drivers for my geforce 2 (i also remember the guy at the computer shop saying my video card didn't work well with the athlon (or maybe motherboard :-s)?
I've also got ad-aware six and avg antivirus and these find nothing :(

cheers for any help!
richie

STOP 0x0000004E PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (Parameter1, Parameter2, Parameter3, Parameter4

1 - value 1
2 - ListHead value which was corrupt
3 - number of pages available
4 - 0

1 - value 2
2 - entry in list being removed
3 - highest physical page number
4 - reference count of entry being removed
CAUSE

This behavior occurs because a driver or other problem damaged the input/output (I/O) driver structures.

sounds like you have a driver problem could be your graphics card

Hey
thanks for the info, i reckon i'm gonna get a new graphics card, does anyone know what types work well with a qdi motherboard 266 (i think) and athlon XP1800 processors? looking to spend around 30-40 quid max (cheaper if posssible!) and something thats a little better than the geforce 2 i got now.
cheers

Use a program called Aida32 (Just search on your favourite search engine) to determine the make of your mobo. Although this should not make a difference to the graphics card, I would suggest buying a Ati Radeon 9200 which you can buy for around that price. Ati are usually better than geforce for similar prices.

hi thanks,
got aida 32 hres my mobo n stuff,

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 08/30/2002-VT8366-8233-6A6LVQ19C-00
Motherboard Name QDI KuDoZ 7(E)/KuDoZ 7 v2.0

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type VIA V-Link
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name QDI Business Unit of Legend Holdings Limited
Product Information http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/eng/Products/products_p4.htm
BIOS Download http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/eng/support/driver.htm

I'm thinking about getting some 512mb memory but dont know what speed to get it or what manufacture, any suggestions?
heres what aida says about my memory, im wondering why it says i've used 197mb out of 256?
Physical Memory
Total 255 MB
Used 197 MB
Free 57 MB
Utilization 77 %

Swap Space
Total 619 MB
Used 190 MB
Free 429 MB
Utilization 31 %

Virtual Memory
Total 875 MB
Used 388 MB
Free 486 MB
Utilization 44 %

Problems & Suggestions
Suggestion Install more system memory to improve applications performance.
^
cheers, oh yeah wats it mean by install more system memory |?

Back
Top Bottom