AGP card

neo_omega

Beta member
My 1st post!!!! :) anyway back to the topic,

i want to upgrade my graphics card but i need some expert opinion else i do anything really stupid, 1st of all:

processor: 1.6 ghz with 512 DDR ram
motherboard : MSI 845 Ultra (uses 4X AGP) MS-6398 (v1.x)
graphics card : Inno3D geforce3 TI200

ok, heres the question, i'm looking at 2 cards to replace my gf3, the fx5600xt and the ati 9600. Both are 8x and i noe they are backward compatible with the 4x slot. but heres the prob, i dunch noe whther there will be voltage probs with the slot if i tried to slot either one into the 4x slot, ive read alot about the 3.3v and 1.5 v thingy but i don't really get the gist out of it, even my mobo book tells tat i cant support 3.3v cards and im still a bit confused. Can anyone help me here? i dun wanna fry my mobo (or the new card if i buy it)

2ndly, IF...there isnt any prob with gettin an 8x card, do you think its worth the upgrade frm a gf3 to either of the cards mentioned? any significant increase inperformance? or shld i juz wait for sme time (with my current pc specs) before i get a totally new pc?

and lastly, if you think its quite a gd idea to upgrade the card nw, which card is better for me? (im quite a heavy gamer btw) the 5600xt or 9600?

thanks to all who can help me

neo_omega said:
My 1st post!!!! :) anyway back to the topic,

i want to upgrade my graphics card but i need some expert opinion else i do anything really stupid, 1st of all:

processor: 1.6 ghz with 512 DDR ram
motherboard : MSI 845 Ultra (uses 4X AGP) MS-6398 (v1.x)
graphics card : Inno3D geforce3 TI200

ok, heres the question, i'm looking at 2 cards to replace my gf3, the fx5600xt and the ati 9600. Both are 8x and i noe they are backward compatible with the 4x slot. but heres the prob, i dunch noe whther there will be voltage probs with the slot if i tried to slot either one into the 4x slot, ive read alot about the 3.3v and 1.5 v thingy but i don't really get the gist out of it, even my mobo book tells tat i cant support 3.3v cards and im still a bit confused. Can anyone help me here? i dun wanna fry my mobo (or the new card if i buy it)

2ndly, IF...there isnt any prob with gettin an 8x card, do you think its worth the upgrade frm a gf3 to either of the cards mentioned? any significant increase inperformance? or shld i juz wait for sme time (with my current pc specs) before i get a totally new pc?

and lastly, if you think its quite a gd idea to upgrade the card nw, which card is better for me? (im quite a heavy gamer btw) the 5600xt or 9600?

thanks to all who can help me
Heavy gamer is the key,you will or do now need 8x.and more cpu.
Wait and upgrade to P4/3+cpu and an 8x mbd.

bluto said:
Heavy gamer is the key,you will or do now need 8x.and more cpu.
Wait and upgrade to P4/3+cpu and an 8x mbd.

well actually, im going into conscription in about a years time, so im wondering whther my graphic card (the gf3) can last that long for future games (a year) before my pc gets totally underused by the time i enter conscription...

so im wondering if a cheap upgrade is quite a good option for me nw and if so , which card is better?

edit: BTW my conscription service in the army last 2 and a halve years...

neo_omega said:
well actually, im going into conscription in about a years time, so im wondering whther my graphic card (the gf3) can last that long for future games (a year) before my pc gets totally underused by the time i enter conscription...

so im wondering if a cheap upgrade is quite a good option for me nw and if so , which card is better?

I'd have to say the Geforce FX5600; for the simple reason I like nVidia more than ATi. Also; you've had Geforce before so you much know how good they are.

i like nvidia better but i have a 9600 in my laptop and it can play 9700 demos it is nearly as powerful so the 9600 . Sorry Nvidia. lol

neo_omega said:

It will not get underused,anymore than your clock radio,kettle or guitar.
Or you know what. ;) :)

Good luck keeping this world peacefull.
:)

i would go with the 5600 xt my cousin has it and its very very good. Anyways im an Nvidia person ; ) hehe.

If I were to upgrade to an Nvidia card, would it work better with my mobo because of the Nvidia chipset? Just a question I've been meaning to ask..

Back
Top Bottom