No more floppy drives!

yeh i get ur piont but i aint got a floppy drive ive just go a cd-rom and cd-rw
cd-r disks r a pain in the ass

But look how cheap it is to get a floppy drive nowadays ... You could probably buy one for a little over a fiver.

i am goin to get one eventually but i cant open up my computer till christmas if i do it will break the warrenty

... then you'll have the CD - Rom as back up. If you have a CD - Rom on it's own, you can't do anything. If you have a floppy drive on it's own, you can't do anything. However, if you have both, then you can rely on either if one of them decides to destroy itself.

Rocker said:
But put yourself in this position :

You have a CD - ROM, no Floppy Drive.

Your CD - ROM packs up and kills itself. You want to change the OS on your comp to something like ... Linux. What do you do? You're helpless, unless you spend another £20 on a new CD - ROM.

OR

You have a Floppy Drive, and you can use Floppies to Install Linux. Problem solved.

CD-ROMs very rarely pack up; and if they did it would be a blessing not to install Linux! :D And you're not helpless becuase you have Windows still - as always holding up the Computer where Linux failed.

Rocker said:
Ok, the situation I created is crap, but the point stays the same. Floppy Disks and Floppy Drives are still a good back up if something goes wrong with your CD - ROM. Plus, with some of the Data burning programs around, some git decided it would be fun to make CD's un rewritable if using their program once something has already been put on it:

Lol - Windows Burning program does not do that - Nero does not do that - why does it matter? Anyway; we shouldn't be talking about CDs because the Computers of the Future without Floppy Drives, and lets face it, will have DVDs and DVD-Writers. Why talk about OLD Computers that do have Floppy Drives already when we're talking about a new thing where DVD-Writers are commonplace.

Rocker said:
You want to put a picture on another comp that isn't connected to the net. Solution? Shove it on a CD and load it up from there. No, wait, you use of those Spawn of Satan data burning programs. Wahey! You've just wasted a 700MB CD by putting a 50kb picture on it. Why not just use a floppy? ;)

Don't bring your bad experiences onto something about this! :D CD Writing programs don't destroy CDs. And most people use Windows or Nero which don't do this unless there's something wrong with the CD/DVD-Writer.

Can't be too hard ot find a floppy - but it probably is to get one to fit in the space instead of in a 3 1/2 Bay. You'll probably only have 3 Bays and if you ask me you'll want a DVD Writer more than an outdated Floppy.

Lord Kalthorn said:
CD-ROMs very rarely pack up; and if they did it would be a blessing not to install Linux! :D And you're not helpless becuase you have Windows still - as always holding up the Computer where Linux failed.

If you look, I said "Should the user wish to change OSs" ... I don't care whether Windows is good or not, but the situation still counts.

Lol - Windows Burning program does not do that - Nero does not do that - why does it matter? Anyway; we shouldn't be talking about CDs because the Computers of the Future without Floppy Drives, and lets face it, will have DVDs and DVD-Writers. Why talk about OLD Computers that do have Floppy Drives already when we're talking about a new thing where DVD-Writers are commonplace.

Once again, look at what I said. SOME CD burners do this. I'm not accusing Windows or Nero of it at all. But alot of people do use other programs in place of either Nero or Windows' version.

Don't bring your bad experiences onto something about this! :D CD Writing programs don't destroy CDs. And most people use Windows or Nero which don't do this unless there's something wrong with the CD/DVD-Writer.

As above. Who said anything about a bad experience of mine? All I'm saying is, some programs DO duff up CD's in that way. If a user has one of the those programs, then it certainly would be beneficial to have a Floppy Drive.

Back
Top Bottom