Favorite OS?

Heres my opinion and I even think Lord Kalthorn will aggree with me.

Linas was a great programer but not so great at the business side.

Bill Gates was an ok programer but really good on the business side. He was also a visionary because he saw the fact that the money in computers was on software not hardware.

johnsonb125 said:
Heres my opinion and I even think Lord Kalthorn will aggree with me.

Linas was a great programer but not so great at the business side.

Bill Gates was an ok programer but really good on the business side. He was also a visionary because he saw the fact that the money in computers was on software not hardware.

Bill Gates is a brilliant Computer Programmer; he did program MSDOS and many other early Windows Operating Systems a huge amount - even now he is Chief Software Developer of Microsoft. I'm sure Linas was a good programmer, probably a great programmer; but the two were from different times.

I will have to agree with you that the Microsoft Team - probably Bill Gates the most - were all brilliant Businessmen and managed to make Windows the best. But; Windows can only be the best through the Security the Stability and the Interface it has now - which are undoubtedly the best of any OS for a couple of reasons which I shall tell you if you want:

1. Most people think Windows is unstable, unsecure and dreadful; but we have to think comparitivly. How many attacks on Windows Computers are there every minute? Every hour? Every day? Seriously tens of millions in a day at least. How many of those will get through? Not even a tenth of a percent will get through; probably more like a hundreth of a percent. To add to that; probably only a Millionth of those that try will cause a serious problem to a Windows Computer. Linux however, will have maybe 100 Hacks a Day, and although maybe only one person every 2 days will be successful; that is still 0.5% of Hacks getting through. And half of every hack that gets through will be dangerous. That is the same with Mac; Windows is therefore more Secure.

2. Stability; most people think that Windows is unstable - but again it is the economics of Mass. Windows works on, and lets not kid ourselves, Billions of Computers Worldwide. I would be happy to bet that there will be fewer that 100 computers which are the same hardware specification; but no one COmputer will have the same Hardware and Software Specification. I'm sure Linux has this problem - but the users of Linux will be very good with computers and will be more mindful of what they're doing. Whereas, Windows, will be pushed onto countless numbers of machines which can't handle it; and even if the machine can what the person is doing won't be handleable by the machine. Personally; I have never seen a blue screen on Windows and my Computers have never hung up due to a fault that is not my own.
Is it not suprising that with a vast incalculatable number of different specifications of Computers to run on that Windows runs at all? That is why Windows is the most Stable operating system - and will continue to become more stable every time it upgrades as the industry slows down and Windows doesn't have to keep up.

3. I don't even have to go into the Interface superiority of Windows; it is too obvious.

Windows may be hacked more than Linux but that says that Windows can handle it. It does not say that Linux can't. Also Kalthorn you should give Linux a chance to be hacked and see how it holds up.

Linux is being hacked - and I think Rocker and many others on here will agree with me that that was a very reasonable estimate of the numbers; probably even generous.

I don't like XP I much prefer 98 SE, Although XP is what, more powerful? I really don't like all the bugs, I also think the interface is crap... but when a new version of windows comes out, i'll buy it, Windows all the way, it's never let me down. Oh and I hate macs as well

Also is linux ever upgraded, just curious...

Henry

Yeah - but not instantly like Windows with Windows Update. You have to download and install a different Version.

Yeah - Longhorn will be brilliant!

Doesn't *nix cover Unix, Linux, etc? So technically you only have 2 on the list? and what happend to all the other (horrible) ones? :p.

lol. anyway, i went linux (though im stuck on XP right now...)

Itsme

Well, I'm not really stuck with it, but I just never have the time to spend partitioning my HD and installing it. Luckily I'm used to Win XP, and so I don't find it as bad as some of the other windows, but once i have time to download, partition and instal I will have it (I accidetally destroyed my RH which I had last :()

Itsme

Back
Top Bottom