'system' file in win XP corrupt :-(

Mark7678

Beta member
Hi there.

I was wondering if any body has any suggestions as to what I should do to rectify a corrupt 'system' file which is preventing me from booting into win xp. The path of the file is c:\windows\system32\config\system.

When I try to boot I get an error message advising me to run the setup disk and select the 'r' option to try to repair the fault, but this simply leads to the command line in DOS.

Is there any backup version of the 'system' file that I could use or another way to get into windows so that I can try to use system restore?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

get your windows cd boot from that it will offer you a few options select reapir.

when you get to repair you will get a command line
C:/WINDOWS type help here.

you will then see a list of commands one is listed as repair boot sector.......takes a few seconds to complete.

had same problem on my daughters pc.

Not good

Same thing happened to me. It wouldn't read my bootup reformat disc either. I ahd to have a friend come over and run windows PE off of a disc and while doing that put a bootup disc in the other drive and ran it from there. Or you can do it the nard way and find a tool on a bootable disc that can uninstall and reinstall your hard drive I reccomend Hiren's 6.0 BootCD

i've got this problem with windows 2000 and i tried the advice in second post but the error keeps coming up when i reboot. any other suggestions? i'm sure the third post is helpful but i don't understand it.

Back
Top Bottom