Boot Record not found - DANG!!!

robsuri

Beta member
Hello Guys,

Need some assistence here and I'd really appreciate it if you could help me out.
Ok, here it goes...

I just got a new 80GB harddrive and took the old 20GB out. Now upon starting the computer, the BIOS detects the drive without any problem but after that, it gives me the msg:

Searching for boot record from IDE-0...Not Found
Searching for boot record from FLOPPY...Not Found
Searching for boot record from CDROM...Not Found

Boot Failure
Insert BOOT diskette in A:
Press any key when ready.

I've tried inserting the boot disk of Windows 98 (since thats all i have atm!) but it still gives the same message. I realise that my hard disk (IDE-0) is all blank so obviously it will not find anythere there, but should it not load something from the win98 boot disk (FLOPPY)?

Any ideas in how i can get over this? Any help will be greatly appreciated,
kind regards,

Jäs

Hey Jäck,

Thanks for replying.

The boot sequence is set to:

<b>First Boot Device: IDE-0
Second Boot Device: FLOPPY
Third Boot Device: CDROM</b>

I dont think it would matter if the boot sequence for a floppy is set to first, second or third. The thing is, its trying to search for boot records which i dont have.

Would you (and everyone else) think trying windows 98 startup disk should do the job? And if so, why does it say NOT FOUND! all i want is to get into fdisk and make a dang partition! so i can install an OS...l0lz

Please help...
Thanks for replying Jack,

Jäs

Why don;t you check if the cables connecting ur hard drive to ur com are in working order. I once had the same problem as you and it turned out that my hard disk was defective.

sound like you have 3 Bad possibilites

1) the floppy disk (its self) has failed

2) the floppy disk drive has failed

3) or you have a virus in your MBR

what you should do first is get another copy of the start up disk that i can email to you a which is an image of the boot floppy and will have to be opened by some thing like ultra ISO or WinIso you know

2 make sur that the connections at the back of the floppy disk dirve is connected properly then if it still dont work, buy or borrow a floppy disk drive just to get FDISK running

at the worst casses the HDD will have to be replaced :(

hope this helps

JTR

robsuri said:
Hey Jäck,

Thanks for replying.

The boot sequence is set to:

<b>First Boot Device: IDE-0
Second Boot Device: FLOPPY
Third Boot Device: CDROM</b>

I dont think it would matter if the boot sequence for a floppy is set to first, second or third. The thing is, its trying to search for boot records which i dont have.

Would you (and everyone else) think trying windows 98 startup disk should do the job? And if so, why does it say NOT FOUND! all i want is to get into fdisk and make a dang partition! so i can install an OS...l0lz

Please help...
Thanks for replying Jack,

Jäs
Well it sure as hell does.Make it
A C SCSI.
Permanently.
:rolleyes:
No wonder it can't detect the OS on your floppy.
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom