RAM upgrade

Lock-N-Load

Beta member
hey guys,
I have a Compaq 7000z series computer that must be about 4 years old. it has a 1.1 GHz athalon processor and 256 mb pc133 RAM. this setup is getting quite slow with games and an almost full hard drive. I'm a broke kid, and my mom says itll be at least a year before she'll pay for a new computer, but says that she'll pay $200 for ugrades on our old one. I have been thinking about getting an extra RAM card but dont know a whole lot about inner computer workings. my question is, would more RAM be the best way to speed up the computer, and can i use a DDR ram card with my current pc133 card? also, would i need any other hardware such as cooling to support a new card? any advice on what would be a better upgrade or what would be a good card to buy would be appreciated.
Thanks

Lock-N-Load said:
hey guys,
I have a Compaq 7000z series computer that must be about 4 years old. it has a 1.1 GHz athalon processor and 256 mb pc133 RAM. this setup is getting quite slow with games and an almost full hard drive. I'm a broke kid, and my mom says itll be at least a year before she'll pay for a new computer, but says that she'll pay $200 for ugrades on our old one. I have been thinking about getting an extra RAM card but dont know a whole lot about inner computer workings. my question is, would more RAM be the best way to speed up the computer, and can i use a DDR ram card with my current pc133 card? also, would i need any other hardware such as cooling to support a new card? any advice on what would be a better upgrade or what would be a good card to buy would be appreciated.
Thanks
How much hd space is left.What size is it ?
I think this is what you need for a lot less and lunch after for Mom and Dad
;)
Gramps.

i guess i thought the hd was more full than it is, because its got a 40 gb with 16 still empty. My main annoyance is that it takes so long to open stuff, it takes a few seconds just to open the start menu. would a bigger hard drive eliminate this?

first off double you ram take it upto 512mb.

with the money you have you should be able to add a secondary hard drive another 40gb would see you right.

infact it wouldnt cost you that much to replace the processor they are quite cheap for that type you should be able to get one that runs at 1500mhz very easily.

what version of windows are you running ?

if its windows 98 then 512 mb of ram is the most you can use add anymore and windows will get confused.........

512mb is more than enough and you will see a good increase in speed.

you got to learn to start DEFRAGMENTING your harddrive if it is that slow. you dont need extra cooling for ram. but you can try to overclock.

Back
Top Bottom