Question about Physical Memory... pls

iarefilter

Beta member
what is physical memory is it the memory needed to open things on your computer? does it envolve RAM. i have recently notice that my computer (laptop with WinXP - Pro, RAM-512, 2 GHz, 40 Gig HD) is running very slow (such as loading programs and doing multi task) my comp is like a 28k modem now loading files is taking forever, much slower than a month ago. i look into the system information and i find that i have a total of 768MB of physical memory. and i only have 206.32 available physical memory. is this is problem of why my laptop is so slow? if not then what is making my comp so slow? pls help me i dont want to reformat my comp to get the speed of what i use to get, because before that is what i do to get the fast speed back since i found this forum to be very helpful i just want to give it a shot.

if you guys can help me with this i am glady appreciated and helping me knowing what to do when this problems comes up again.

Memory RAM Random Access Memory,ROM Read Only Memory, and Virtual Memory,Thats all i know off,Let Windows manage it.but,
Well it's really not that simple,you have to do a little studying before asking this.Try different options look at your options.read Windows Help.
Lets start here,
What kind of multitask do you expect to accomplish and can't ?
:confused:

HI,
Physical Memory is memory of the computer where the program is loaded for the use of the user. For eg., whn u open any word processor (WP) the various functions provided by the WP is loaded in the physical memory of the Computer. and from there u cn use the function like underlining any word,etc.
now ur problem cn be due to several reasons::
* the first being the possibility of ur computer being attacked by a virus. these type of viruses r very common. U cn use an Antivirus SOFTWARE to detect and delete the virus.

*the second is tht there is a possibility tht different laptops use different types of drivers which occupy a sufficient amt of Physical memory. for tht u have to comtact ur vendor and get it fixed.

* then there cn be sumthin' like u might have installed some new software which runs on the background and occupies a hell lot of physical memory. in WIN XP u cn fix it up pressing ctrl+alt+del and then processes tab. there u cn get details of all the processes tht r running.then u cn delete the desired ones or stop thm

TRY THESE 3. Hope ur Question is answered. If not POST the question again and dont hesitate to mail me at apratim_1987@spymac.com

thematrix said:
HI,
Physical Memory is memory of the computer where the program is loaded for the use of the user. For eg., whn u open any word processor (WP) the various functions provided by the WP is loaded in the physical memory of the Computer. and from there u cn use the function like underlining any word,etc.
now ur problem cn be due to several reasons::
* the first being the possibility of ur computer being attacked by a virus. these type of viruses r very common. U cn use an Antivirus SOFTWARE to detect and delete the virus.

*the second is tht there is a possibility tht different laptops use different types of drivers which occupy a sufficient amt of Physical memory. for tht u have to comtact ur vendor and get it fixed.

* then there cn be sumthin' like u might have installed some new software which runs on the background and occupies a hell lot of physical memory. in WIN XP u cn fix it up pressing ctrl+alt+del and then processes tab. there u cn get details of all the processes tht r running.then u cn delete the desired ones or stop thm

TRY THESE 3. Hope ur Question is answered. If not POST the question again and dont hesitate to mail me at apratim_1987@spymac.com

In other words RAM Random Access Memory,those sticks for the mbd.Maybe you need more.
Yes you can have a whole lot of shakin goin on.I have W me and use selective startup with Explorer and systray on startup,
do you really need more ?
:confused:

ok this is really the problem that i am having it is that when i open a program Ex: a folder, it takes like 1mins for it to load and it is look like a 56k modem loading a website that you trying to get into. i mean it is exactly like that.
for the virus part i have norton antivirus 2004 pro and it scans the whole computer and there were couple of
viruses but they cant be access or del (automatically). After finishing scanning the computer i go into the quarantine list and there is was i DEL it from there. i am not sure if it is 100% off my computer. if not cant you give me some tips on how to manually delete it. i heard that you can del it from the command prompt but if i del it from the quarantine list do i have to del manually too?
about the memory i have 512 MB that is enough for the laptop right? thanks for your help guys

iarefilter said:
ok this is really the problem that i am having it is that when i open a program Ex: a folder, it takes like 1mins for it to load and it is look like a 56k modem loading a website that you trying to get into. i mean it is exactly like that.
for the virus part i have norton antivirus 2004 pro and it scans the whole computer and there were couple of
viruses but they cant be access or del (automatically). After finishing scanning the computer i go into the quarantine list and there is was i DEL it from there. i am not sure if it is 100% off my computer. if not cant you give me some tips on how to manually delete it. i heard that you can del it from the command prompt but if i del it from the quarantine list do i have to del manually too?
about the memory i have 512 MB that is enough for the laptop right? thanks for your help guys
Do another scan and see if they show up again.Are you sure you have set a "complete scan"includeing the registry ?
Have a good look.Scan everything you can and delete them.If you can't give me their names.
Why was this about physical memory.It ends when you turn off your computer.
You do don't you.
:D

Go to www.download.com and find things that will protect your computer from different things. For me I use a combo of about 5 or 6 different types of programs and it gets the job done. Also get a program called CPUCOOL for somewhere. I'm sure you could type it into google or something. It will tell you how much free RAM you have and what percentage of your CPU is being used and it can even overclock a Dell if you want to do that. I wouldn't recomend overclocking a laptop just because it will probably overheat and use up more battery life. So don't do that. Also you will probably want to upgrade your RAM to 1 gig instead of the 512. I did that to my Dell P4 1.7 and it worked like a charm. Try this and if it doesnt work the I just don't know.

johnsonb125 said:
Go to www.download.com and find things that will protect your computer from different things. For me I use a combo of about 5 or 6 different types of programs and it gets the job done. Also get a program called CPUCOOL for somewhere. I'm sure you could type it into google or something. It will tell you how much free RAM you have and what percentage of your CPU is being used and it can even overclock a Dell if you want to do that. I wouldn't recomend overclocking a laptop just because it will probably overheat and use up more battery life. So don't do that. Also you will probably want to upgrade your RAM to 1 gig instead of the 512. I did that to my Dell P4 1.7 and it worked like a charm. Try this and if it doesnt work the I just don't know.
Well i don't have any problems like posted here and i don't do anything except Delete temp inet files(also known as cookies):( each time i close my browser.By the way i don't surf either,just close one and go to another fav or desktop link.
Other than that it's about once a week for Ad-Aware.
And about the same here,
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
:D
This can also be a Scandisk/Defrag problem,too many junk files slow you down.
You decide.
Quote:
By the way it is look like a 56k modem loading a website that you trying to get into. i mean it is exactly like that.
==========
Thats all you get if thats all they've got,get it ?
You can have the fastest Broadband in the world,if the other end has 56k,so do you.
;)

Back
Top Bottom