network parents' comp. to my comp.

wondergimp

Solid State Member
I am interested in networking my parents computer to my computer. So I have a few Q's:

1. My parents' computer is hooked up to the internet through dial-up modem. Will I be able to get on the internet from my room even though it is dial-up?
2. My parents' computer has a printer hooked up to it. Will I be able to print off stuff from my computer to their printer?
3. Will I be able to retrieve files of mine on their computer and copy them onto mine?
thanks guys ;)

yes you need to get network hub then you need 2
network cables (cat5) 2 network cards unless u already have them.

for the basic setup budget at about £50.

what operating system are your computers running?

Networking 2 PC's

If it's just 2 PC's you want to link, I'd go for a single cross over cable, lots of places will make them up to custom lengths.

wondergimp said:
I am interested in networking my parents computer to my computer. So I have a few Q's:

1. My parents' computer is hooked up to the internet through dial-up modem. Will I be able to get on the internet from my room even though it is dial-up?
2. My parents' computer has a printer hooked up to it. Will I be able to print off stuff from my computer to their printer?
3. Will I be able to retrieve files of mine on their computer and copy them onto mine?
thanks guys ;)

Yes, Yes, and Yes. Do you know what stuff you will need? What versions are they?

connecting computers

how much do you spend on phone calls to the internet each month?

If its betwenn £10-£15 then you should consider some basic broadband packages, it wll make sharing your internet connection viable.

If you do go down that route, you may find an ADSL package that includes a adsl router that will mhandle all your network needs bundled into the price.

i like www.plus.net

cheap and very very fast

jack
<< Please use a signature >>

You can put Dialup onto a Network - its just if two people plan to use Dialup at the same time then it gets very slow. (VERY slow indeed).

I recommend at least 512Kbps to anyone; whether for a Network or otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom