Compatability

Loki1

Solid State Member
I've been wanting to upgrade my computer for a while now, and recently decided to look up a processor. I found a cheap one, but then came to the realization that I had no clue how to install it or if it is even compatable with my computer. My brother, who I figured could help, has installed a RAM chip into his computer, but has never put in a processor before. Since he is away at college, I would have to wait a month before he could come here to install, and I'm hoping to install a little earlier.

My computer: A gateway, currently installed with a PIII. I don't know the processing speed, but I'm guessing it's just slightly below 600MHz (a game requiring 600MHz runs pretty slow on my computer, and I meet all the other system requirements).

The processor I want to install: AMD Thoroughbred-B Athlon XP 2600+. Heres the sight (has specs under the 'read more' link) http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=634892/search=processor
(if you can find a better deal, please let me know. I'm poor =P)

So the first question is, will this be compatable with my computer?
If it is, how do I install it? (Money is an issue for me right now, so I'm hesitant about going some place to get it installed)

Also, someone offered to buy me a video card and/or some ram. I've picked out these:
Video Card: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=1582127/search=Sapphire Radeon 9200 SE

Ram:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=140589/search=computer memory

I'm not too familiar with vedeo cards or ram upgrades, so if anyone could give their advice on these, that'd be great.

Thanks for your time.

simple answer to your question NO!

a pentium 3 uses a socket type called 370 the chip you are wanting to install is type called socket A

you need to look at pentium 3 processors i think they went upto 1000mhz also the cheaper version called celeron fit in this socket they went upto 1300mhz

i suggest you price up the pentium 3 processor at 1000mhz u should still be able to find one.

then upgrade your memory your computer will use sdram either 100mhz or 133mhz.
the upgrade of the processor is quite easy but it depends on your level of computer experience.

if you are wanting to use that processor you first mentioned then you need a new motherboard and new ram......the board should fit in your system case but fitting it could be a little daunting.

hth

Another question - I know what OEM means, but how much worse is an OEM part than a regular one? Or rather, would it be worth it to buy an OEM processor over a regular one?

Also will both 100MHz and 133Mhz on ram and the processor work for my computer? If it is one or the other, how do I find out which one works?

Thanks again.

OEM-- original equipment manufacturer

it is what companys like Compaq Dell etc use there is nothing wrong with oem i use them myself you just tend to find it comes in a basic brown box with little or no instructions keeps the cost down.

you buy oem if you know a little about computers in your case if you can get someone to help you then save yourself some money and buy oem.

as to the memory buy 133mhz sdram that way if it turns out yours runs at 100mhz its no problem because 133mhz ram will run at the slower speed of 100mhz quite happily.

Sweet. Okay, one last question (I hope)- If I get ram that was made for HP computers, is there any chance it would work on my gateway? Specifically, this one - (http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=255283/search=computer memory)

Oh, and by "if it turns out yours runs at 100mhz", are you referring to the processor? (Okay, so never mind that 'one last question' bit)

Edit: Okay, just one more...

When I put in the chip, I don't have to reformat anything do I? Or set anything up on the virtual part of the computer, like a driver or whatnot, right?

That RAM is likely to work if your Computer uses SD RAM; but personally I would be safer buying just general SD RAM unless its too much more expensive.

EDIT: You won't have to reformat the Computer.

Hmmm. So my computer may not be able to use SDRAM? How can I check to make sure that it does?

I must have bought it about 4 or 5 years ago. I have windows 98 and an intel pentium 3 processor.

The manual doesn't tell me anything about my specific computer and whats in it, just the type of computer in general. On the part mentioning ram instalation, it only talks about DIMM and RIMM ram as opposed to any sort of SDRAM and whatnot. Now that I think about it, it doesn't even tell me where the processor is. Joy! Then again, that should come with the retail box. I'd hope. o_O;

Back
Top Bottom