The pentium M vs. the pentium 4

The second genaration Pentium M aka" Dothan" will be up to 2ghz. The Dell Latitude D800 has it in it. Go for that if you want a longer battery life and more power. They have a good review at cnet.com, go to "notebooks". That should answer all your ???'s. peace

I meant if your bent on getting a Dothan. The second-generation Pentium M processors will be faster soon, if you wanna wait.

The M processor is faster then a standard processor running at the same GHz by a long shot.

Remember the fastest, most powerful computer in the world are Sun Sparcstations and these only run 1.28GHz. It's a different architecture, same goes for the Centrino chip. It is slower then a P4 in GHz but processes information more efficiently then a P4.

It is also scaled down to meet the needs of a laptop. Scaled down, I mean a regular P4 chip has a lot stuff in there to support a number of applications from being used a server to CAD workstation to gaming. While the Centrino chip is scaled down to support only items required on a laptop. Another reason it is scaled down is to conserve energy and help manage energy. Plus laptop are not gaming or server demaned, so having all of the power is not necessary.

Also for you AMD freaks. Is an AMD chip just as fast as a Pentium, based on GHz alone?...not even close. Because the fastest P4 runs at 3.40GHz while the AMD only runs at 2.4GHz (64 FX-53). And why does AMD market their processors such as XP 3200+ or 64 3400? Because people don't understand speed of a processor. Which one would you rather buy an Intel Pentium 4 at 3.40GHz or an AMD XP 2.20GHz processor? Hint...they run at approximately the speed exact speed. That is why AMD markets the XP 2.2GHz chip as the Athlon XP 3400+ so it doesn't lose sales to Intel for a similar processor.

So don't be quick to judge a processor by the GHz speed.

killerdoberman said:
Also for you AMD freaks. Is an AMD chip just as fast as a Pentium, based on GHz alone?...not even close. Because the fastest P4 runs at 3.40GHz while the AMD only runs at 2.4GHz (64 FX-53). And why does AMD market their processors such as XP 3200+ or 64 3400? Because people don't understand speed of a processor. Which one would you rather buy an Intel Pentium 4 at 3.40GHz or an AMD XP 2.20GHz processor? Hint...they run at approximately the speed exact speed. That is why AMD markets the XP 2.2GHz chip as the Athlon XP 3400+ so it doesn't lose sales to Intel for a similar processor.

So don't be quick to judge a processor by the GHz speed.
Its a point - and shows that Intel are the best - because it is AMD which has to line its Advertising against Intel and not Intel against AMD.

Its a shame Intel didn't get 64-bits out before AMD - then I could have brought an Intel instead. My soul would ahve felt much better that way.

Back
Top Bottom