cdrw problem

tomlancaster

Beta member
Hi,

I have had this problem for about a year and a half:

About 2 years ago, I bought an internal CD-RW to go into my system, which I installed, and it worked fine, along with the CD-ROM Drive (which came with the system.)
However, I got a virus on the system, and tried to fix it by reinstalling the computer from Win98SE to first edition. This, however, didn't work, and resulted in the system freezing whenever a disk was loaded in either. Since then, I have found out that this only happens if there is any CD-writing software installed on the system.

I took the PC to this PC Clinic, who wiped the drive and took off the virus, but they didn't know why the drives weren't working. They suggested going back to Windows 98 Second Edition.

I have now installed the system back to Win 98 Second Edition, but the drives still don't work!

Any ideas would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks, Tom

I think so - They will both read CDs fine aslong as there is no writer software installed. Where should I look to check?

Have just checked device manager and it says for both drives 'no driver files are required or have been loaded for this device...'

When I click on 'upload driver' it searches the computer, and then says:

The best driver Windows found is alredy installed for this device.' - C:\WINDOWS\INF\MSCDROM/INF

This is a CD-ROM driver, and the drive is a CD-RW. Maybe this is the problem?

This wasn't a virus problem,why did you decide this ?
1 and 1/2 years with no cd useage.Hard to believe.
What drive letters do you see in My Computer ?
This is all you need for drivers.
C:\WINDOWS\INF\MSCDROM/INF
I took the PC to this PC Clinic,
A lot of help they where.They owe you one.
:D

Hi Bluto,

I got a virus which was completely messing up the system, with lots of different symptoms. I then tryed installing windows, which made it worse by not allowing me to put any type of cd into the drive.

I then took it to a PC Clinic, who wiped the hard drive (including the virus) but they could not work out why the cd was not working - they tried a few things - including replacing one of the drives. Since then, I have been using the drives fine to read CDs, but when I install any CDRW software, the drives just freeze the computer. As long as I don't have any writer software installed, I can use the read function of the drives.

This is obviously annoying as I cant use my CD-writer.

I found a website http://www.siliconguide.com/qa/forum/messages/131-1.shtml with people who have exactly the same drive, and similar problems. They all say that they need drivers.

I am beginning to think that the problem is something to do with corrupted drivers...But I'm not sure what to install or reinstall etc.

Thanks for your help tom

tomlancaster said:
Hi Bluto,

I got a virus which was completely messing up the system, with lots of different symptoms. I then tryed installing windows, which made it worse by not allowing me to put any type of cd into the drive.

I then took it to a PC Clinic, who wiped the hard drive (including the virus) but they could not work out why the cd was not working - they tried a few things - including replacing one of the drives. Since then, I have been using the drives fine to read CDs, but when I install any CDRW software, the drives just freeze the computer. As long as I don't have any writer software installed, I can use the read function of the drives.

This is obviously annoying as I cant use my CD-writer.

I found a website http://www.siliconguide.com/qa/forum/messages/131-1.shtml with people who have exactly the same drive, and similar problems. They all say that they need drivers.

I am beginning to think that the problem is something to do with corrupted drivers...But I'm not sure what to install or reinstall etc.

Thanks for your help tom
I think i'm seeing the problem this way.
Since i got a cd-rw and a DVD drive reading cd's has been a headache for me too.All kind of errors right.
Hang in all should work.
What burner ? What Software ? Did the software come with it ?
Burners and software have to be compatible.The HDware sight should list this.
Forget drivers for now,Windows handles that well.Mscdex.exe does it make sure you have it in Windows.
:)

Back
Top Bottom