dos help

clip

Solid State Member
hey guys just a quick question. I was wondering how can u run a file in dos, if the file name has spaces in it. when i was trying it i can access folders with spaces by just typing the name in dos with spaces
(i.e c:\cd Documents and Settings) this will work and will then go into documents and settings. however it doesn't work the same way for files with spaces in the name. for example if i had a file called
"the file.txt" how would i type in its file name in dos in order to run it from there, thx for the help guys, i have win XP i don't know if that makes a difference. thx again.

-cLiP

clip said:
hey guys just a quick question. I was wondering how can u run a file in dos, if the file name has spaces in it. when i was trying it i can access folders with spaces by just typing the name in dos with spaces
(i.e c:\cd Documents and Settings) this will work and will then go into documents and settings. however it doesn't work the same way for files with spaces in the name. for example if i had a file called
"the file.txt" how would i type in its file name in dos in order to run it from there, thx for the help guys, i have win XP i don't know if that makes a difference. thx again.

-cLiP
How did you get into this Dos mess ?
This is the 21st Century.Dos is dead,XP killed it.
Whats the diff.Dos files are truncated (cut off) if more than 11 characters.Windows allows 64 includeing spaces.
:D

You hardly ever answer peoples question . It might help if you did .
Have you tryed
the_file.exe . thefile.exe .

yeah i tried, the_file.exe, and thefile.exe neither works. The reason that i wanted to know this is becuase i have a movie on my computer that i can't erase for some reason. Everytime i try to it gives me the error saying: "Cannot delete The Jackal: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again." The thing is im not on a home network, so no other computers are using it, and no other programs are using it, i can't even erase it in safe mode. Any suggestions? thx for your help guys.

-cLiP

clip said:
yeah i tried, the_file.exe, and thefile.exe neither works. The reason that i wanted to know this is becuase i have a movie on my computer that i can't erase for some reason. Everytime i try to it gives me the error saying: "Cannot delete The Jackal: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again." The thing is im not on a home network, so no other computers are using it, and no other programs are using it, i can't even erase it in safe mode. Any suggestions? thx for your help guys.

-cLiP

The Jackal.*** what follows.This isn't a Dos problem !
Movies are .avi or .mpg.Lets get this straight.
Is it Jackal.avi,mpg or what ? did you ever view it ???
:rolleyes:

yeah its an .avi file, and no i havne't viewed it, there is a problem with the movie, becuase i didn't end up getting the whole movie, i am missing like 70 000 mgb so i can't watch it. I wanted to run the computer in safe mode with command prompt and erase the file from dos thats why i was asking, do u guys have any other suggestions on how to get ride of this movie. thx for all your help and suggestions.

-cLiP

Back
Top Bottom