Automatic Power down

Parkins8 said:
Hey, thanks, I put new RAM in and it worked for about 15 minutes, but after that when i tried to restart and it does the same thing...if i leave the comp plugged in, about every 4 mintues it tries to start up but shuts down after the 5 seconds...?? Thanks

Wild guess,Could you possibly be useing a cpu the mbd won't accept ?
But how do you do all this checking in 5 seconds or when shut down ?
:confused:

The computer I am working on is about 4 years old and has run great up to this point, one day it just would not turn on, and that is where i started, I have put a working CPU, PS, HD, and nothing has changed. It worked for about 15 minutes with a different slot of RAM but then back to its old habits, aside from the MB, i'm not sure what else it could be....once in a while when i try to turn it on, only the HD will start to kick on, no fans, so i unplug it and plug it back in and it does its 5 second thing...?? thanks

Parkins8 said:
The computer I am working on is about 4 years old and has run great up to this point, one day it just would not turn on, and that is where i started, I have put a working CPU, PS, HD, and nothing has changed. It worked for about 15 minutes with a different slot of RAM but then back to its old habits, aside from the MB, i'm not sure what else it could be....once in a while when i try to turn it on, only the HD will start to kick on, no fans, so i unplug it and plug it back in and it does its 5 second thing...?? thanks
=======
Turn on or boot to Windows? which is it ? It seems to me it "turned on"
Why did you think it was ram ? the old ram worked before.
How can you check the fans in 5 seconds.Did you use canned air on them ? If so this can mess them up.
Can you boot to Windows then do some checking there. are your case sides removed ? Is it crowded in there ?
If it was the mbd you would get nowhere man,nowhere.
:D

This is going to blow you away

I bet I know what the problem is.

You broke the button.

ATX computers cannot be turned off by the power button, UNLESS you hold them down for 5 seconds.

I other words, your button is broken. Go down to you local computer shop (I like the overstock surplus places for these items) and get a new power button. Should cost around 5 bucks. I just got a new button for my custom milk create server computer. It cost me $2.25 and that included sales tax.

Give that a try and let me know the outcome.

There is a way around it to see if that actually is the problem. Open the computer and disconnect the power button from the motherboard. Take an insulated wire and strip off both ends. Touch the open ends to the prongs that the power button was on. Be sure to hold to the insulation, its only a little jolt, it sort of tickles. The computer should turn on and stay on. To turn it off use the shut down if using Windows or put the wires back on the prongs and hold for 5 seconds to turn off the computer.

I did this for 4 months until I finally got away from my computer for an hour to buy a button.

Parkins8 said:
Hey all, I have a gateway computer that I am working on that didn't turn on one day and since then the power button won't turn it on at all. If you unplug the powersupply and plug it back in, it will start to boot up but automatically shut down after 5 seconds...any ideas???

Thanks, Parkins8
killerdoberman
Thats awfull advice.
Take an insulated wire and strip off both ends
This wasn't
Attach a different power connection to the front power on switch
:eek:

Bluto,

Awful advise?

When the problem is the power on button, then the solution is to replace it.

What is wrong with that? Not every answer requires for you to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on new power supplies, ultra fast video cards, new motherboard, cpu, etc.

Parkins8 already tried a different power supply and same result...failed. Now Parkins8 can try disconnecting the power on button from the motherboard and the using the $2-3 solution give it a try.

Thanks for everyones help, I guess it was the power switch, I hooked up another PS that worked and the computer worked, so then I hooked the old one back up and it worked fine, its been running good for 5 days now, kinda scares me wandering what was really wrong, but it is working now, Jeremy

Parkins8 said:
Thanks for everyones help, I guess it was the power switch, I hooked up another PS that worked and the computer worked, so then I hooked the old one back up and it worked fine, its been running good for 5 days now, kinda scares me wandering what was really wrong, but it is working now, Jeremy

Metal electronic connections can get corroded and it's not visible rust.
Plugging and replugging can often solve this.
Glad your back in business.
:p

Hi to all.

Well i presented the same problem as Parkins8, my computer worked fine for years, I leftit on as many times before and when i returned it was off and haven't been able to turn it on since then.

I have taken all hardware, memory, cards, etc. off the motherboard just leaving the AMD900 procesor, have try reseting the CMOS, I even bought a new powersupply but the same problems occurs, " I turn on the computer" the fan spins for about 2 seconds, no cpu o hhd led ever light up, i thought that the the power button is broken as it happend to Parkins8, so I took the wires, strip them to manually make contact but still the same problems "fan spins for 2 sec, then dies", the motherboard has power since the lights on the Keyboard light up as I turn the power swith on the power supply on, I then took a spare set of reset buttons that i have and try using them as reset and power button, and i get the same result "2 sec. fan spinning", i believe i need to change MoBo....

any suggestion?

Hernan

Hernan, what i did was take a totally different front from another computer and hooked up its wires to my motherboard, and it worked fine, after that i put my front back on and mine worked fine and still is, it could be possible there is some corrision on the wires or the plug? Before i got to that part, i checked my harddrive, powersupply, CPU, RAM, and reset the cmos. Also, unplug everything from the mobo you don't need and see what happens, hope some of this helps, let me know....

Back
Top Bottom