Getting broadband on my laptop

DaLlama

Beta member
I just bought a new laptop but it has a dialup modem,and I was looking for a cable modem but I could not find one anywhere.Does anyone know where I can find one?Do they even make a cable laptop modem?

a cable modem is what you would get from the cable company selling you your bandwidth (Like road runner or equivilent). You see, broadband does not get transmitted through a phone wire - it is transmitted (most commonly) through your TV Cable line. What you need for your laptop is a PCMCIA ethernet card. These are availiable on ebay relatively cheap (like 10-20 dollars). You could probably find one at bestbuy or circuit city for 20-30 dollars. Before you get one of these, you should call up your local cable provider to make sure they offer Cable Modem service. Time Warner w/ road runner is just about everywhere except if you live in the boondocks. If the cable modem company doesn't give you a cable modem, then they should be able to help you get one from a store - they'd know which one you need. The cable modem would then hook up to your PCMCIA ethernet card and the ethernet card would go into a PCMCIA slot (all laptops have them).

Hope this was helpful

DaLlama said:
I just bought a new laptop but it has a dialup modem,and I was looking for a cable modem but I could not find one anywhere.Does anyone know where I can find one?Do they even make a cable laptop modem?
Ask your local cable tv / cable internet server.Tell them you want to subscribe.They will bring you a cable modem ,if it's available where you reside.I hope it's a Big City and not out on a farm.
;)
The dialup modem is useless till an isp sets it up.Forget it's even there.

Wannado (needs a bit of getting used to) does a Broadband Modem Package for free as long as you sign up for 1 year. Only £27 a month and you will get it set up for free - you wil have to order that from Freeserve (0870 11 2462) as I don't think they do them for free in PC World. However, then you can go to PC World where, because you have a Laptop, you can get a 9.6m (or less depending on what you want - don't go over that!) High-Speed Belkin Internet Cable. That'll do the job.

i apologise, DaLlama! I gota stop assuming that everyone is from the States - what country are you from? Road Runner is only availiable in the states, sorry about that!

Goes to show how ethnocentric America is.

NTL! NTL! NTL! You mean Nauseating Telecommunication Lines! Up with Wannado! And - actually - its not £27 a month anymore; its gone down to something which I can't think of right now. But 1Mbps is only £32 on Wannado!

You know what you Wanna do; Wannado

Back
Top Bottom