Big problem with sound...

Celldamage

Solid State Member
I recently upgraded from win98 to Win2000 pro. After the clean install I have no sound on my computer at all. I have tried to get new drivers but I have had no luck. I have a number of ! next to alot of devices in my device manager screen. I have tried to uninstall them so that windows will detect them and install drivers fro them but to no avail.
Can anyone help or any suggestions?

I am assuming that you are having problems with the onboard component(s). The best thing to do is to install Windows 2000. The VERY next thing is to get your virus scan up and running. Third thing is to get on the internet and start updating Windows 2000. This is going to take a while of downloading and installing about 8-10 times. If you can't get on the internet, then you need to go to your motherboard's website and download the latest drivers for everything on your motherboard. This might include LAN, IDE driver, USB controller, and even sound driver.

I suggest doing the updates before installing the motherboard's drivers because Microsoft has done a lot of changing of drivers that may be part of the updates. After the updates and drivers are installed then everything should be working.

If you have done this and it still doesn't work, then you have one of two situations. The first is that your board may have a BIOS update that helps Windows identify your hardware or the later which is the hardware doesn't work on Windows 2000. And there are many items that fall into this last category.

If you are having this problem on a Sound Blaster or a Turtle Beach Sound Card then you are in trouble because Creative and Turtle Beach are great Windows 2000 sound cards. Any other brand you have to think about buying a new one.

I think this covers most of the situations that you have expressed. I hope this answers your question.

Back
Top Bottom