Problem with a zip drive......

CrUsH

Beta member
I had a standard Iomega zip 100mb drive back in 99 that I had in my old computer. I was using win95 on that computer so the disk was formatted in a FAT file system. I put allot of files on there that I have been trying to get off now. But the thing is im running winXP which uses NTFS. Basically this is what it tells me when I try to access the drive.

This disk was compressed using DriveSpace 3, which requires Windows 95.

To use this disk, you must first mount it. To mount it:

1. Run DriveSpace by choosing Run from the Windows 95 Start menu,
and then typing DRVSPACE.

2. In DriveSpace, click the drive that contains this disk,
click the Advanced menu, and then click Mount.

(If this file is located on a drive other than the physical drive
that contains the disk, then the compressed drive is already mounted).

To automatically mount all available compressed drives, click the
Advanced menu, click Settings, and then check the "Automatically mount
new compressed drives" box.

IMPORTANT: To mount and use this compressed disk, you must be running
Windows 95 and DriveSpace 3.

Does anyone know if it is possible to recover these files on winXP?

When i try to open the zip drive it has a readme file in there and that is what it says.

if the drive is being recognised by your coumputer but you cant access it
try going into options in xp and telling xp to run it as 95 as you can do for older software.

i dont know if this will work but its worth a try other than that as far as i am aware xp is incompatable with 95.

This is a software issue with Windows 95 only. In order to run and read the information on this disk you need a Windows 95 OS running on your computer.

There are three solutions, take the one that works best for you.

#1. Do you have an old computer you could put together and install Windows 95? If so, do that. Move the data to the new Windows 95 harddrive. When that is done format the ZIP drive and put the information back on the ZIP drive UNCOMPRESSED. That way XP will read it.

#2. Backup everything you need from XP and install Windows 95. You cannot install Windows 95 over XP. You have to format the harddrive and start over. When that is done, do what I suggested and copy everthing to the harddrive and back to the ZIP in the UNCOMPRESSED format.

#3. Ask yourself...do you really need the information on the disk. If you answer is "YES" then do #1 or #2. If your answer is "NO" then who cares and use the ZIP disks as hockey pucks and do a slap shot in the garbage can.

The bottom line is...Windows XP cannot use disks that have been compressed using the utility in Windows 95.

I kinda figured that :( I was just hoping that maybee there was a program out there somewhere that could unconpress it.
Isnt there a way I could partition a little part of my hd and just install win95 on that. Or maybee a way to emulate windows?

Back
Top Bottom