Win 98 just turns off - please help!

stonecold1

Beta member
Hi,

I am running win 98 and have 2 problems.

Firstly to boot the machine I need to open the cd-drive and keep it open, because if it closes at any time the machine will stop loading and I will need to open the cd drive to start again. I was wondering if this could be a problem with my bios settings, i.e it is not recognising my hard drive as the primary drive? I have checked the jumpers on the hard drive and cd drive and they are set to Master and Slave respectivly, so I really dont know why I have to open the cd drive to get my computer to boot. I have tried new IDE cables, disconnecting the cd drive etc but I am still having trouble.

My second problem is that when Win 98 finally boots, I can close the cd drive and all seems to work fine for about 1 minute and then the machine just stops working! It doesnt turn off as the hard drive and power light are still illuminated, the screen just goes black. I have tried a different monitor, checked the power management and screen saver options and also re-installing win 98 but to no joy. One interesting thing however is that this problem does not happen in safe mode, Win 98 stays active for as long as I want , it is only when Win 98 proper is on that it just stops working after a minute.

This is really bugging me and I would be very grateful of any suggestions you as experts can give me as I feel this can never be fixed which will be a shame.

Thanks for your time.

stonecold said:
Hi,

I am running win 98 and have 2 problems.

Firstly to boot the machine I need to open the cd-drive and keep it open, because if it closes at any time the machine will stop loading and I will need to open the cd drive to start again. I was wondering if this could be a problem with my bios settings, i.e it is not recognising my hard drive as the primary drive? I have checked the jumpers on the hard drive and cd drive and they are set to Master and Slave respectivly, so I really dont know why I have to open the cd drive to get my computer to boot. I have tried new IDE cables, disconnecting the cd drive etc but I am still having trouble.

My second problem is that when Win 98 finally boots, I can close the cd drive and all seems to work fine for about 1 minute and then the machine just stops working! It doesnt turn off as the hard drive and power light are still illuminated, the screen just goes black. I have tried a different monitor, checked the power management and screen saver options and also re-installing win 98 but to no joy. One interesting thing however is that this problem does not happen in safe mode, Win 98 stays active for as long as I want , it is only when Win 98 proper is on that it just stops working after a minute.

This is really bugging me and I would be very grateful of any suggestions you as experts can give me as I feel this can never be fixed which will be a shame.

Thanks for your time.

oops,why no PM's
This really bugs me too,and i would also be very gratefull.
You are doing quite well on this PC,Do the same there.
:eek:

if it boots in safe mode only then it must be a driver issue.once up and running in safe mode delete your drivers then re install them and see what happens.

check the boot sequence in the bios it should read a c d it may be looking in your cd drive for a boot disk

Back
Top Bottom