What is a .EXE file?

bluto said:
An .exe is an executeable file.You must have dclicked a few.
You can't rename mypic.jpg to mypic.exe.You can't write a letter,.txt and make it an .exe.
That where file association comes in.
An .exe is many thousands of lines of programing that is then converted to "machine Code"
You need a College edu to do this stuff.
:rolleyes:

I'm a programmer with minimal college education....in fact, I would still be considered a first year student....your statement is false

-Mke

Thank you!

Yes, mikegroovin is right! Infact, nodody needs a college degree to be a programmer, all you need to know is how to program, and you can get tutorials off the internet on how to program (thats how i'm learning), or go to college... Thanks to mikegroovin, he said it all!!!

Re: Huh!

Gonavitch said:
Why are you explaning all of this to me I know what it is, Dark Reaction already explaned every thing you just said to me.
I have known for years that I need a college degree! Thats kind of already been said to me once before on a forum (Not this one!)
Just so you know i'm only 14 years old but I know enough!
But theres a lot more I will learn, and I will be a computer programmer!!!
I have tried to make a .exe file by typing in a bunch of jumbled letters, numbers, hyphens, and other weird signs
========
The above was why,how could you possibly expect that to work ? What where the results you where expecting ?
That was very confussing and needed to be reinforced.I guess i should have just agreed with DR.
You probably can learn other ways,but College is a good choice.
Sorry.
:D

What I meant was I tried to copy some jumbled letters, numbers, hyphens and other weird signs from another .exe file!
Do get what i'm saying now?

it was still obvious it wouldn't work though right?

If you just plan to make games then you can actually find some pretty goo game making utilities out there for simple platform games,

and to be honest you might want to forget about the idea of an excecutable and have a good look at flash and action scripts within flash. - you can publish your games on the internet and they will reach a lot more people than a downloadable excecutable.

at a leterstage you coul think about putting it in an excecutable - there are plenty of programs that will encapsulate a web browser and some local pages to allow online games to be easily packaged into a windows binary file.

an example of one such program is Multi media builder by media ch.ance

Gonavitch said:
What I meant was I tried to copy some jumbled letters, numbers, hyphens and other weird signs from another .exe file!

Almost,You can't "edit an exe"
Programming isn't that simple,but you havn't explained what you where trying to accomplish.
Why don't you give this up and go to the library.

I don't mean to be funny, or throw further confusion into the discussion.

But...
Yes you can edit a working excecutable in the exact way that he was trying to. Each character he saw (the funny symbols) was the char representation of the hex data that is compiled from the machine codes.

I've written embedded programs running on the Zilog Z80 (like they used in spectrums) using this method. using the ascii representation for the hex groups is just taking the process one step further.

The hex after all is only compiled from the opp-codes that might have been taken from either someone writting the oppcodes required to run a program straight into an editor, or might have been taken from somebodies C program that is then compiled into opp codes (using something like the cosmic compiller - thats the one we use at Uni, but there are more), these oppcodes are then compiled to a hex/binary file using another compiler. (which is why you can't port applications because the use of the opp codes are usually different).

OK, I'll admit that he'd have needed quite an extensive programming education, and a really strong appreciation for machine code etc...

But the point is it can be done. - perhaps it is you who needs to go back to school to learn what can and can't be done?

root said:
I don't mean to be funny, or throw further confusion into the discussion.

But...
Yes you can edit a working excecutable in the exact way that he was trying to. Each character he saw (the funny symbols) was the char representation of the hex data that is compiled from the machine codes.

I've written embedded programs running on the Zilog Z80 (like they used in spectrums) using this method. using the ascii representation for the hex groups is just taking the process one step further.

The hex after all is only compiled from the opp-codes that might have been taken from either someone writting the oppcodes required to run a program straight into an editor, or might have been taken from somebodies C program that is then compiled into opp codes (using something like the cosmic compiller - thats the one we use at Uni, but there are more), these oppcodes are then compiled to a hex/binary file using another compiler. (which is why you can't port applications because the use of the opp codes are usually different).

OK, I'll admit that he'd have needed quite an extensive programming education, and a really strong appreciation for machine code etc...

But the point is it can be done. - perhaps it is you who needs to go back to school to learn what can and can't be done?

Thats great news,see what you can do with Wordpad.exe.
Can you improve or change it by !@#$%^^&&& ?
Or msconfig.exe or Notepad.exe or sysdm.exe or and finally
Iexplorer.EXE.
Give me a break OK.

this is one of those screw you-I know best things (just like yours was meat to be.
So I'll get it overwith quickly.

Make a file in your favorite hex editor
put
êÿÿ
thats
EA 00 00 FF FF
save the file as reboot.com
if you are using windows 89 why don't you put it in your start up (autoexec.bat) file? any ideas what it might do?
A second way to do this is to enter the instructions at the debugger.
don't know what that is? no thought not.
open your Command or CMd prompt and type debug reboot.com
now type
A 0100 [enter]
JMP ffff:0000 [enter]
[enter]
RCX [enter]
5 [enter]
w [enter]
q [enter]

this wil write a 5 byte file that will floor any dos machine (which is why I suggest you put it in your statr up file)
The listing I just gave you was the op-codes that should work along side your x86 based chip.

Now, I've shown you that you can create a file using a hex editor and change the ascii values to change the little funny charactors.
I've shown you how to create a programme for an x86 machine using the some of the instruction set of the x86 processor.

Now do you believe me that it will work, and that yo just need to know what you are doing?

(1 - nill)

incidentally the programme tells the computer to jump to the end of the stack and causes it to restart - incase anyone was wondering how it did this

root said:
this is one of those screw you-I know best things (just like yours was meat to be.
So I'll get it overwith quickly.

Make a file in your favorite hex editor
put
êÿÿ
thats
EA 00 00 FF FF
save the file as reboot.com
if you are using windows 89 why don't you put it in your start up (autoexec.bat) file? any ideas what it might do?
A second way to do this is to enter the instructions at the debugger.
don't know what that is? no thought not.
open your Command or CMd prompt and type debug reboot.com
now type
A 0100 [enter]
JMP ffff:0000 [enter]
[enter]
RCX [enter]
5 [enter]
w [enter]
q [enter]

this wil write a 5 byte file that will floor any dos machine (which is why I suggest you put it in your statr up file)
The listing I just gave you was the op-codes that should work along side your x86 based chip.

Now, I've shown you that you can create a file using a hex editor and change the ascii values to change the little funny charactors.
I've shown you how to create a programme for an x86 machine using the some of the instruction set of the x86 processor.

Now do you believe me that it will work, and that yo just need to know what you are doing?

(1 - nill)

incidentally the programme tells the computer to jump to the end of the stack and causes it to restart - incase anyone was wondering how it did this
======= :p
========
I appreciate your knowlege of advanced computer use.Do you expect him to suddenly know the depth of your knowledge.
He doesn't even know why or what he wants to create,or where to get a hex editor.Batch files would be a better starting point depending on Windows version.I'm sure he was referring to an already existing exe since he said he was trying to add things.
This is a young man just starting out.
Don't confuse the guy.
=================================================
The simple answer was "It's an executable file that can't be edited.
And just might mess up your computer by doing so.
But please add more to this.What was the name of this experimental exe ?
:confused:

Back
Top Bottom