Linux Questions

iamroot said:
I think its good that linux and sun r giving microsoft a run for its money.

Good? It's fantastic, my friend.

Microsoft used to dominate the computer world ... now Mac have a nice stronghold, and Linux and Sun are getting more popular everyday.

I don't mean fantastic as in, haha, I hate Microsoft, they should die, but, fantastic, as in, yay, us users finally have something different from Windows. Users like myself get bored with Windows - and want to try new things. A few years ago, there wasn't anything worthwhile to try out - but now, there is a nice load of different things to try out - eg, the many Linux Distros.

iamroot said:
I think its good that linux and sun r giving microsoft a run for its money.

A run for there money! A few low brow anti-trust cases with minor victories at the end and a rise in what - 0.1% of the OS World?

Open-Source is doomed and we all know it - I actually like SuSe and Linux is ok. Mac will probably always be there cause its stubborn and its users are - but eventually they'll die. Windows Longhorn will defeat whatever marginal advances in numbers Linux have since they started and whatever they're going to make until late 2005. I have no doubt in that. Then Blackcomb after it. I think I shall live to see - probably while still working for Microsoft - the death of Linux. Mac can't be brought because of the Monopoly Commision (Stupid Bastards) so it'll just stay there and fester.

Lord Kalthorn. I think ur comment seems kind of offensive. I think its great that we have a group of individuals who contribute to a free OS for no money whatsoever. Compare that to those programmers working with Microsoft. And Microsoft is still so flawed. The only thing special about microsoft windows is how they have dominated the market and killed the competitors. Think Netscape. If Microsoft could only make an OS which is worth the amount of money people pay for it, that would be good. Unlike what they've done with win xp.

iamroot said:
Lord Kalthorn. I think ur comment seems kind of offensive. I think its great that we have a group of individuals who contribute to a free OS for no money whatsoever. Compare that to those programmers working with Microsoft. And Microsoft is still so flawed. The only thing special about microsoft windows is how they have dominated the market and killed the competitors. Think Netscape. If Microsoft could only make an OS which is worth the amount of money people pay for it, that would be good. Unlike what they've done with win xp.

The money you pay for Windows goes to more things than is immaginable. It goes to upgrade WMP, goes to MSN, Messenger, Service Packs, Updates, Bug Fixes, New Windows Versions, the Microsoft website, Microsoft Campuses, Paying off legal fees brought upon them by crying babies because Microsoft hit them. And many more which even I don't know about. Maybe it is, its very honourable. However, the idea that Windows is not worth what you pay for it is not true. What you get in Windows is more than what you get in a Linux version - and of better quality. Why otherwise would Microsoft be incharge of 90% of the World's Computers?

Even if what u say is true then microsoft should at least have the decency to make windows a piece of good software. From my computer security experience, Windows is the easiest OS to hack. U dun even need to make any effort to find a backdoor or weakness, no thanks to the numerous flaws in the OS. As 4 ur comment, Microsoft is running 90% of the world's coms as it stole ideas and destroyed competitors. Anyway open source like Apache is coming in fast. Apache runs most of the world's web servers now.

iamroot said:
Even if what u say is true then microsoft should at least have the decency to make windows a piece of good software. From my computer security experience, Windows is the easiest OS to hack. U dun even need to make any effort to find a backdoor or weakness, no thanks to the numerous flaws in the OS. As 4 ur comment, Microsoft is running 90% of the world's coms as it stole ideas and destroyed competitors. Anyway open source like Apache is coming in fast. Apache runs most of the world's web servers now.

Web Servers are different; Microsoft has only just started in that market and it won't be long now! Moo-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha! Sun can't live forever - its already used its Anti-Trust Card and that only turned into a Media Player issue! :D They will die! Moo-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha!

I don't Microsoft will ever suceed in the server area. The most important thing to any start-up company is price. Which Microsoft miserably fails at.

iamroot said:
I don't Microsoft will ever suceed in the server area. The most important thing to any start-up company is price. Which Microsoft miserably fails at.

Yeah - but they can fall back when they realise. They're going to have to do that with XBox too. The point is endurance; Microsoft can keep coming back and back and back and probably loose and loose and loose however much and still come back again. Each time it will get better - and eventually Linux's edurance and Playstation's Edurance will fail and Microsoft will win. Its just when, not if.

But how long do u think Microsoft can hold out? IBM is going to be Microsoft-free by 2006 and China, Taiwan and Japan are developing their own linux version for the Asian -Pacific region. In my country, they're even selling XBOX below cost price to combat PS2. Microsoft will have to go the open-source way soon if it wants to maintain its customer base.

iamroot said:
But how long do u think Microsoft can hold out? IBM is going to be Microsoft-free by 2006 and China, Taiwan and Japan are developing their own linux version for the Asian -Pacific region. In my country, they're even selling XBOX below cost price to combat PS2. Microsoft will have to go the open-source way soon if it wants to maintain its customer base.

I don't think so - Linux will fall soon enough even with Government Backings of it. It is not ready for the open market and we all see that. Open-Source is not up to the Open Market (pun intended! :D). It is just not safe enough for it. Governments will back it but they will fall back on Microsoft soon enough. With Europe and America Microsoft can hold out forever; even with only America Microsoft can hold out forever; or only Europe. Microsoft is rich enough and it can wait out the storm to see it disapate by itself.

Back
Top Bottom