Unistill Msn Messanger?

You obviously thought wrong! Lol - no, some people love it and others hate it; most who know about it seem to love it - but not a very large majority. I have already stated the problems of Open-Source in a wider market - if I can find it I'll show it to you.

Lord Kalthorn's Essays on Stuff said:
The Flaw in Open Source
By Lord Kalthorn
The Flaw in Open-Source is simple and complex in its speciallities. I'd imagine about 80% of OSs sold go to people who just want to right Letters, use a Computer, and are happy that it just works, knowing nothing about Computers - yes? Well; these 80% will always like a safe and secure OS because of the simple point that they know nothing about OSs.
This is where LInux come in, and Open-Source in general. Open-Source allows that fifth of the OS populous to edit the Linux OS and to then distribute it as he/she will. The simple flaw is that when people get the oppertunity to do this they are able to do terrible and expensive to correct things to the user who unsucpectingly gets and maybe even buys Linux from that filthy character. This is the fault of Open-Source - the general users of Linux will not be safe from the scum society; nor will be able to distinguish those select scum from the generally good Computer Programmers who simply want to be nice. I had this very discussion with my Librarian Mrs. Prince; and she said that she would not feel safe with Open-Source and the possibilities of all the low brow things that could be done by people to her operating system before she even brought it.
This is why Windows is far superior and Closed-Source while likely never completely winning the war will always have Open-Source on its last leg. Open-Source is unsafe; and while Closed-Source is continuously bombarded by Viruses and Trojans and numerous other things which everybody blames Microsoft for - nobody ever realises that it is Windows keeping them safe, not Windows making their life bad.
Closed-Source is Safe, Open-Source is inherently unsafe. Open-Source will never be safe because to be safe it will need to be Closed-Source! Linux will therfore not hit the 15% mark ever simply because of that fact, that flaw, that Open-Heel!
There it is: I may Review Linux in my Longhorn Style - but not now.​

Hmm maybe they should have a hybrid of both, opened and closed sources. Maybe companies can create a source which has all the securities of an closed source and have it able to alter it.

This way people have the freedom to alter sources like Microsoft XP or Microsoft 2000 with the security still being there. The security codes can be 'locked' codes and therefore nobody will be able to touch them.

What do you think guys? Is it possible?

Cheerios said:
Hmm maybe they should have a hybrid of both, opened and closed sources. Maybe companies can create a source which has all the securities of an closed source and have it able to alter it.

This way people have the freedom to alter sources like Microsoft XP or Microsoft 2000 with the security still being there. The security codes can be 'locked' codes and therefore nobody will be able to touch them.

What do you think guys? Is it possible?

It isn't possible to have closed source and allow people to change it - because if people can change it then its not Closed-Source; and if there are bits which people can't change then Open-SOurce people won't be happy with it. It probably is; but you'd have to lock so much that Hardcore Open-Sourcers wouldn't think its Open enough.

Although of course, I don't see why anybody needs to change the code of an OS?! :D

I think both closed-source and open-source have their own individual markets. Open for the tech-savvy who want to modify code and clode for the mainstream who basically dun care.

Anybody here read TIME? There's an article on Microsoft which is really interesting. It turns out that Microsoft has just released an open source project called WiX. Haha.

iamroot said:
I think both closed-source and open-source have their own individual markets. Open for the tech-savvy who want to modify code and clode for the mainstream who basically dun care.

Tech-Savvy? Why do you need to want to edit code for something that doesn't matter to be Tech-Savvy. Even the ability to do it doesn't mean it would ever need to be done. Everything a 'Tech-Savvy' person would ever need to do is available on Windows. Name something that isn't which is useful?

Back
Top Bottom