how do i get wireless broadband connection

TheRock2004

Beta member
Hi, i currently have broadband internet but i have no telephone socket in my room, so i have to run a telephone extension downstairs everytmie i want to connect to the internet. i've heard you can set up a wireless broadband connection? how can i do this? what is best to buy? i only need it for using my 1 home computer to connect to the internet. the telephone socket is downstairs at the front of the house and my computer is upstairs at the back of the house. any help is greatly appreciated

kk

so wait do u hav dsl?

neway just get a wireless card in your computer and get a wireless router make sure the and the router are meant to be used together and connect the router to your internet plugin spot and the wireless card into your computer pci slot. you should be able to go on throughout ur whole house that way

i cant giv ne stats on what is good on the market cuz frankly i have no clue

This requires 2 PC's one up and one online down,it's not a wireless telephone.
If a new phone jack install isn't free then seek out the best route for a permanent extension.
:)

Or you know you can just place your router downstairs and hook it up from there! I think D-Link routers kickass, up to 108 megs with the new routers they currently have!(pricy stuff)

There are several things you need in order to set-up a wireless connection:

1) High-speed internet (w/modem)
2) A router
3) NIC's (Network Interface Cards)

There are several different connection speed-type routers you can use: 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g

the 802.11a runs on the 5ghz frequency while the other two run on 2.5ghz, therefore I recommend not using the 802.11a because you'd need to get a dual-band router if you have different types of NIC's (i.e. an 'a' router won't collaborate with a b or g NIC without the dual-band router). I also believe that the 'a' has a shorter range then the other two.

802.11a can run at a max speed of 54mpbs,
802.11b at a max speed of 11mbps
802.11g at a max speed of 54mpbs

The bad thing about wireless networks is that a) someone can hack into your system very easily (they can be sitting in a car right outside your house! :eek: ) and b) because they are running on the same frequency as your telephone and microwave the signal can be interrupted easily and often.

Speaking of interferences and such, your best bet may be to use CAT5 cabling (it looks like thick phone cord) and run cables throughout your house, this can reach a max speed of 100mbps with no interruptions!

My laptop has the 'g' installed but at the moment I can't get it to recognize the connection.

Anyways I hope I was able to help you understand a bit the differences between the two -- I may be mistaken at some parts, sorry I just do this stuff for a hobby and haven't been working with networks/computers that long. You may want to try a search on google. Or to read a bit more about networks go to your local library :), oh, I just found this, just skimmed over it but it may be useful for you: setting up a wireless network cpu/laptop.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom