Here's another question abt CPU performance

cp_4eva

Baseband Member
Hi everyone
this questions is more of a "software" type of question

when you press CTRL + ALT + DEL in windows , the task manager appears right?

and if you switch to the 'performance' tab, you get graphs and charts of your CPU performance.

Here, you also get the CPU usage.
the question - 'is it better to have higher % of CPU usage or Lower?'

coz i dun quite understand what CPU usage is.

Lower because that means you CPU is powerful and dosn't have to use much of it power to get stuff done. But when running games i think for best proformance it should be at 100%

Try something fun with Win NT or 2000. I am not quite sure if it works with XP. Open up the performance graph and move it to the side so you can still see it. Now open up another window and have it so it is not maximized. Now grab a corner and drag and resize it. Watch the CPU go to 100% just by doing something we take for granted. This happens because the math-coprocessor usage on the OS is so great that when resizing a window, the math-coprocessor is overloaded by doing the calucations it takes to resize the window.

Windows 95 and 98 are not highly dependant on the math co-processor, so performing this simple task is well...simple. This is also why Celerons are such good processors for Windows 95 and 98.

Windows XP took programming from Windows NT, 2000 and 98 to make XP. So resizing on XP shouldn't max out the CPU performance window.

But lower is better...when it hits around 80% you feel it. The computer is SLLLOOOOWWWW! and feels as though it is locked up for a few seconds. In the gaming world...that equals DEATH!!!

killerdoberman said:
Try something fun with Win NT or 2000. I am not quite sure if it works with XP. Open up the performance graph and move it to the side so you can still see it. Now open up another window and have it so it is not maximized. Now grab a corner and drag and resize it. Watch the CPU go to 100% just by doing something we take for granted. This happens because the math-coprocessor usage on the OS is so great that when resizing a window, the math-coprocessor is overloaded by doing the calucations it takes to resize the window.

Windows 95 and 98 are not highly dependant on the math co-processor, so performing this simple task is well...simple. This is also why Celerons are such good processors for Windows 95 and 98.

Windows XP took programming from Windows NT, 2000 and 98 to make XP. So resizing on XP shouldn't max out the CPU performance window.

But lower is better...when it hits around 80% you feel it. The computer is SLLLOOOOWWWW! and feels as though it is locked up for a few seconds. In the gaming world...that equals DEATH!!!

I tried that - the CPU went to 20% from 2%. And I felt nothing change at all. It only went to 50% when I did it back and forth constantly for straight 10 or 12 times. I don't know what you're talking about but still - maybe it does it on others.

Windows XP does not experience this. It uses the programing of Windows 95 and 98 for a task like this. It only works with Windows 2000 and NT.

That is another reason that Windows XP run very well Celeron processors.

You would be able to get much perforance out of a Celeron on an Windows NT or 2000.

Back
Top Bottom