Could us some help

g_k_4

Solid State Member
Could use some help

Hi I'm new here and this seems like a very helpful forum. I just got a new computer... specs on it are on my sig. The computer is only 3 days old, this could be a stupid problem I'm having... and it's more annoying then anything. Yesterday while testing out my cable internet, watching some game movies off of ign.com everytime a new window opened only the very top bar would appear. I have to right click on the window and hit Maximize to make it appear. I don't know if I accidently hit something to make it do that, or what. It's not the biggest problem but it is rather annoying.

Also I do want to do some more upgrades to the computer, I have already upgraded the RAM to 1G. Looking to get a new video card in the next week or so... a NVIDIA one. I've been looking at the NVIDIA GeForce FX5500oc 256DDR, seems like a good card for the money. I've also been looking at some FX5700's as well. I have only a 250 watt power supply, would that need to be upgraded as well? One more thing is it worth spending the $200 to upgrade to Windows XP Pro? Sorry for the long thread, thanks in advance.

I guess I should just restore my computer. Pain in the butt and it's only three days old but having to right click then maximize every new window is getting bothersome.

I am not sure what you can do to fix that. Try restoring your machine.
I think a 250watt could power it but it might struggle. What else is in your system that it will be powering?

Adjust the window

This problem is a pain in the butt, if you don't know how to fix it.

The first step is to NOT maximize the windows, rather just let it sit in the middle.

Secondly, try and grab the corners to stretch it out. I like my new window to almost be as big as the screen without maximizing.

Thirdly, is to file-new-window. A new window should be open with the same diamentions as the one you just got done adjusting.

Now for the final part. This is where most people get confused. Close out each window starting with the second one open. To close it DO NOT push the red X, but instead use file-exit. Then close the first window the same way.

That's it.

To test it, click on Internet Explorer. It should open to the size of the old window you adjusted and not maximized. Just remember each time you adjust a window screen and use the file-exit or as I like to do ALT-F4, the next window will open to that same size.

Hope that works.

Thanks killerdoberman, I got it working. Last time I tried doing that it didn't work, but it did this time. As for the power supply getting a new video card and might put some more fans in it... if it's worth doing. I'll probably upgrade to a 300-350watt power supply anyways. Most people use at around 400 with the new CPU's. Either way so far this new AMD 64bit processor is extreamly fast, and I'm very happy with it.

David Lindon said:
I am not sure what you can do to fix that. Try restoring your machine.
I think a 250watt could power it but it might struggle. What else is in your system that it will be powering?
You got the shaft,take it back and demand at least a 300 watt.even if it costs a buck or 2 Anyone selling these is a jerk.Did they install Windows ?
Windows size should not be acting like i think you described.
Another example for attachments.Are you saying you can't maintain your window size ? Check your control panel/folder options.
Somewhere there might be remember window position,but i can't send an attachment.So go fish.
:D

My personal opinion is that u dun go buying Geforce FX 5700.
If money wasnt the problem, u could buy smth like geforce fx 5900-ultra

but if you want the money range at abt smth like fx5700, i suggest u buy the geforce fx 5900-XT

5900-XT doesn't have much performance difference from the 5900, so i rly suggest you buy that.

and if yer rly going to buy fx 5900-xt, u neeto upgrade your PowerSupplyUnit also. The minimum for this card is 350Watts.

Back
Top Bottom