Problem is hdd detection, plz help

happy_2008

Solid State Member
Hi Guys,
I have 3 hdd, two in my computer and 1 as mobile mainly used to copy stuff from my friends computer. Anyway this is the problem, i took out 1 of the hdd from my computer and plugged this mobile one in. But when i went to switch them back over, the computer cant detect the hard drive???

When i go into bios all it says is unknown device even thou my hdd is plugged in. What is the bloody problem with this comp ????

happy_2008 said:
Hi Guys,
I have 3 hdd, two in my computer and 1 as mobile mainly used to copy stuff from my friends computer. Anyway this is the problem, i took out 1 of the hdd from my computer and plugged this mobile one in. But when i went to switch them back over, the computer cant detect the hard drive???

When i go into bios all it says is unknown device even thou my hdd is plugged in. What is the bloody problem with this comp ????

By mobile do you mean external usb etc. ?
Do you have usb support.
But do this if not,get a removeable hd case.Then you can have as many hd's as you want.I promise.
:D
But set the bios to auto detect.It works.I promise.
:)

No its doesnt have usb, i basically unplugged the IDE cable and re-plugged it back in. Its not even detecting it tbh, all its sayin is unknown device but i found out it hasnt detected it.

I think the IDE cable is buggered, so i am gonna replace it over the weekend!!!

So your "mobile" hard drive is basically a hard drive that you unplug whenever you feel like, go to your friends computer, plug in, copy data... unplug from your friends computer then back to your computer?

That is allot of movement for your typical hard drive, it could be that your drive is damaged from all that use back and forward.

Do you at least put it inside a antistatic bag when you move it around?

Just questions that could lead to solutions.

I think the 'bloody problem' is probably a problem based around the fact that you seem to be using an 'Internal' Hard Drive as an 'External' Hard Drive. The difference between these two is perhaps to delecate for you to realise; but an 'Internal' Hard Drive goes within the Computer and cannot be moved about too much and certainly not in a protective bag. An 'external' Hard Drive is prepared to be moved about - it doesn't like it that much but it is made to do it and its safe to do it, it will go about, it has its own protective case, and is safe.

Its easy to blame the computer - but I think its probably just been worn out and is broken. :rolleyes:

Lord Kalthorn said:
I think the 'bloody problem' is probably a problem based around the fact that you seem to be using an 'Internal' Hard Drive as an 'External' Hard Drive. The difference between these two is perhaps to delecate for you to realise; but an 'Internal' Hard Drive goes within the Computer and cannot be moved about too much and certainly not in a protective bag. An 'external' Hard Drive is prepared to be moved about - it doesn't like it that much but it is made to do it and its safe to do it, it will go about, it has its own protective case, and is safe.

Its easy to blame the computer - but I think its probably just been worn out and is broken. :rolleyes:

Excellent advice.In this day of cd-rw's and other means of moveing things from 1 computer to another,this is easy.Use cd-rw"s over and over.I used to file split to floppies. :eek:
My advice on removeable hd cases was meant for buying a new hd and getting the info from the old "#3" transfered to it.

It sound about right Lord Kalthorn. What i would do i transfer all the harddrives on to one MASSIVE harddrive an then do what bluto said.

Back
Top Bottom