what is degauss

It resets the pixels like if you put a magnet on your screen and it messes it up, degause it and it resets it,

Forget it

Don't use it unless you know why.Read your monitor guide.
If you like what you see forget the options.
:)

To remove magnetism from a device. The term is usually used in reference to color monitors and other display devices that use a Cathode Ray Tube (CRT). These devices aim electrons onto the display screen by creating magnetic fields inside the CRT. External magnetic forces -- such as the earth's natural magnetism or a magnet placed close to the monitor -- can magnetize the shadow mask, causing distorted images and colors. To remove this external magnetic forces, most monitors automatically degauss the CRT whenever you turn on the monitor. In addition, many monitors have a manual degauss button that performs a more thorough degaussing of the CRT. You can also use an external degausser that degausses the monitor from the outside. Since it may be impossible to remove the external magnetic force, degaussing works by re-aligning the magnetic fields inside the CRT to compensate for the external magnetism.

Erstad said:
To remove magnetism from a device. The term is usually used in reference to color monitors and other display devices that use a Cathode Ray Tube (CRT). These devices aim electrons onto the display screen by creating magnetic fields inside the CRT. External magnetic forces -- such as the earth's natural magnetism or a magnet placed close to the monitor -- can magnetize the shadow mask, causing distorted images and colors. To remove this external magnetic forces, most monitors automatically degauss the CRT whenever you turn on the monitor. In addition, many monitors have a manual degauss button that performs a more thorough degaussing of the CRT. You can also use an external degausser that degausses the monitor from the outside. Since it may be impossible to remove the external magnetic force, degaussing works by re-aligning the magnetic fields inside the CRT to compensate for the external magnetism.

Well then,how do you determine that you need too ? I plugged mine in 18 months ago,Never used it yet.
:D

I know its not classified as safe but sometimes for a quick change of scenery just put a heavy duty magnet or even a subwoofer next to the monitor, all the colors will dillute, i do it all the time on my peice of junk HP pavillion mx75 im runnin on, Kills time when im waitin on dialup i suppose

~RAM

you deguass if the image on your moniter appears destorted or blurry. Old moniters do not deguass autmatically. If you take a powerful magnet run it near your moniter you will see the image distort-Magnetic fields develop slowly and the degauss will get rid of the distortion caused by the field.-I do not reccomend you play with the magnet- it was an example to demonstarte the idea-A powerful magnetic field can ruin your moniter. Speakers placed to close to a moniter can have a bad affect on it.-Degauss if this has taken place.

ram said:
I know its not classified as safe but sometimes for a quick change of scenery just put a heavy duty magnet or even a subwoofer next to the monitor, all the colors will dillute, i do it all the time on my peice of junk HP pavillion mx75 im runnin on, Kills time when im waitin on dialup i suppose

~RAM
Therin lies the definitive answer,learn how to setup and use your PC.
My tip of the day is,
Don't put the cordless receiver on top of your case or subwoofer.

Should I deguasse in my situation?

In the upper left hand corner of my monitor, it seems to be a little darker than the other sides. I had to swap out my last monitor because it had a green spot on it and I just got this current monitor yesterday

I'm guessing that this model for the monitor is a cheap one. But anyway, how do I get rid of this darker spot without taking it back again?

I have a brand new video card and I'm sure its installed correctly. Could there possibly any other solutions because the darker shade is noticeable enough to distract me if I'm doing anything with this PC.

Jayj2k1 said:
Should I deguasse in my situation?

In the upper left hand corner of my monitor, it seems to be a little darker than the other sides. I had to swap out my last monitor because it had a green spot on it and I just got this current monitor yesterday

I'm guessing that this model for the monitor is a cheap one. But anyway, how do I get rid of this darker spot without taking it back again?

I have a brand new video card and I'm sure its installed correctly. Could there possibly any other solutions because the darker shade is noticeable enough to distract me if I'm doing anything with this PC.

dark spots are usually bad monitors. if you have to degauss your images are usually distorted and blurry like others mentioned..but not dark.

Back
Top Bottom