Invalid system disk problem????

gaffer1

Beta member
When I swich on my PC, when it displays all the bios information, it says "boot from ATAPI CD-Rom, invalid system disk, replace the disk and then press any key".

However, to proceed to Windows 98 I can press any key without actually having to insert any disk. I have also noticed though that my 40gig 2nd hard drive is only showing up as having a "capacity of 1.99gb" when I go into my computer. My default hard drive, 120gb SATA drive, is working absolutely fine though.

System Specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2700mhz
512 DDR 333
120gig Maxtor SATA, 8mb cache
Windows 98

If you wish to know anymore info about my system then please ask.

Thanks,

Gaffer

gaffer said:
When I swich on my PC, when it displays all the bios information, it says "boot from ATAPI CD-Rom, invalid system disk, replace the disk and then press any key".

However, to proceed to Windows 98 I can press any key without actually having to insert any disk. I have also noticed though that my 40gig 2nd hard drive is only showing up as having a "capacity of 1.99gb" when I go into my computer. My default hard drive, 120gb SATA drive, is working absolutely fine though.

System Specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2700mhz
512 DDR 333
Windows 98

Thanks,

Gaffer

Ok, it says 'Invalid system disk wqhen a non system disk is in the drive its booting from. Removing the disk and pressing any key works as ou dont need a system disk to boot from (unless your reinstalling e.t.c.).

As for the hard drive. It looks like its been partitioned. thats why it is only showing up as 1.99 Gb (or atleast i hope it is).

Best thing to do (as i dont know how to do this on a secondary hd) is switch it with the main hd, put a boot disk in, and when you get to the DOS screen where it has A:\ on, typ in FDisk, go into the 1st screen and look for a option to 'delete primary partition', this should get rid of the 1.99 gb partition and make Windows recognise the rest of it :)

I hope this helps :)

gaffer said:

System Specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2700mhz
512 DDR 333
Windows 98

Thanks,

Gaffer

Your bios boot sequence is wrong,change it to a,c,scsi.
You seem to have used large when formating 120,did you do same with 40 ?
Also remove any cd disks and try a boot.

Yer Lol I Had The Problem 2 Days Ago But Not The Hdd Prolem Tho C Your Cd Wires They Will Be The Wrong Way Round Or The Bios Settings Is Set To Disable Cd Drive Somet Like That Try That

Back
Top Bottom