where to go with c++

francium087

Beta member
Hello everyone...I just stumbled upon this cool site on yahoo believe it or not. I am just about to complete my first year of college. I'm a CS major, and just got done with two semesters of c++ and i'm not sure what I can do with it since I don't know of too many people that are fond of programs that run in a dos-like window. I was wondering what Visual C++ is along with C# (or visual C# if there is such a thing.) Also, what are these languages that can be embedded into html (like ASP, Perl.) They seem pretty useful, even though I know nothing about them (if that makes any sense.) I know that this post is pretty cluttered, but i'd appreciate it if anyone could answer even one of my MANY questions.

Yes there is a thing called C#. It is similar to ASP and runs the .net. C++ can also be run from a browser. I have seen it done with some sort of module in Apache and just print with C++ to print the web page.

i have heard that c++ could be used in web sites but HOW. By the way I also know Java and I know that that language can be very useful, but i'm not sure how to do much more than basic DOS type programs.

C++ can be used in web development, alot of the time its used to access SQL servers and what not but the options are pretty much limited only by the knowledge of the developer. If you use frontpage for development just look in MSDN for any applicable examples. As for programs running in a dos-like window, learn about windows development! You can program in windows with C++,C,C#,VB,ect. Look for Win32API development on the web. Their are a lot of good free tutorials out there. By the way Windows was programmed in C, so don't think that just because you haven't learned about it yet that it can't be done.(And of course the only real difference between C and C++ these days is the mindset for programming).

There is nothing you can't do with a C language! Cheers to C! boos to Basic! jabs for J! glue for G! pokes to all the other onces.

It really depends what you wan to do - C++ can be used on the internet as Traveller said but it depends whether you will want to use new things in the C# language which is useful on the internet and if its worth learning it.

Back
Top Bottom