building a computer

MrEd said:
well ive got my cpu and fan in, my ram, video card, and sound card, and case fan in, now im tring to figure out were to put the cords from the power supply cords , i believe ive got those right. i do have another question though with the cpu fan, is the blade of the fan supposted to be exposed or is there something you need to do so that its not, cause it seems strange having the fan like that, couldnt it cut some the cords that are near or something?

Nope, its meant to be exposed. To make sure no wires get cut, you need to try and keep them away from the fan, i use elastic bands at the moment and it keeps them all together

thanks, ive got everything in and connected now. i just have to figure out how to connect all the cords in the front were the power button to turn the computer on is. i looked at my old computer that only has 1 big cord, mine has a bunch of cords they say power led, reset led, things like that there are i think 4 or 5 of them hopefully i can figure that out soon. but how no idea realy at the moment were they connect to the motherboard.

MrEd said:
thanks, ive got everything in and connected now. i just have to figure out how to connect all the cords in the front were the power button to turn the computer on is. i looked at my old computer that only has 1 big cord, mine has a bunch of cords they say power led, reset led, things like that there are i think 4 or 5 of them hopefully i can figure that out soon. but how no idea realy at the moment were they connect to the motherboard.

Look in your motherboard manual, it should tell you where each wire needs to be placed
:)

tried turning it on.... well it turned on fine, floppy light lit up, my cd drive lit up, everything looked right. then on the moniter it just showed soyo motherboard on the screen. so i looked in looked in the manual said something about pressing the del key to start bios. nothing happened then i looked at the keyboard and none of the lights lit up. but i plug it in the lights all turn on then turn off. the light on my mouse is on though. my cpu fan is working my case fan is working i dont have any idea whats going on.

nm i figured that problem out i had a bad boot disk. but of course with my luck i ran into another problem. it now says when i try to setup windows after i type d: setup it works like it always does until after it says verifing componets or something like that, and it comes up saying i need a MS-DOS boot partition. finaly though once this problem is solved it will run :). but of course with my luck its proply a problem iwth my harddrive. sorry for yet another question....

MrEd said:
nm i figured that problem out i had a bad boot disk. but of course with my luck i ran into another problem. it now says when i try to setup windows after i type d: setup it works like it always does until after it says verifing componets or something like that, and it comes up saying i need a MS-DOS boot partition. finaly though once this problem is solved it will run :). but of course with my luck its proply a problem iwth my harddrive. sorry for yet another question....

Ok, put your boot disk in, and when you can, type in FDisk. In here, press one, and on the next screen i think you have to press one again (noit really sure) but have a look in there and see if there is already a partition on the hard drive. If not your gonna have to make one yourself (if you want i'll try and guide you through it).

So post back and tell us if there is already a partition and if ther is, what size it is

well i acculy found that out not long before you posted... well um... i kinda screwed something up i think, i made the patition, i might have made it the whole drive, now when i boot it up it says verify dmi pool data, then after it comes up no os system and does nothing. im been tring to figure this out for the last 3 hours. something tells me i screwed something up bad this time.

MrEd said:
well i acculy found that out not long before you posted... well um... i kinda screwed something up i think, i made the patition, i might have made it the whole drive, now when i boot it up it says verify dmi pool data, then after it comes up no os system and does nothing. im been tring to figure this out for the last 3 hours. something tells me i screwed something up bad this time.

Well, having the partiton the whole drive shouldn't be a problem as thats what mine is. Try deleting the partiton, then making a new one, then try installing the OS again, hopefully this should sort it :)

how do i delete the partition, cause when it says no os system it wont let me do anything.

MrEd said:
how do i delete the partition, cause when it says no os system it wont let me do anything.

Go into FDisk, and you'll have to look around for an option like 'delete primary partition' or just 'delete partition' (sorry i cant be more specific as i haven't done it in a while. Just delete the partiton that create another

Back
Top Bottom