Question about my Windows XP

Longhornfan42

Beta member
I accidently installed two operating systems on both hardrives and i dont want it that way.I was trying to delete the old partition(something like that) when i accidently installed another one on hardrive2.Is there anyway and can take everything off the drives and start over?How would i go about doing this? And i dont want to take it to a repair shop.

Longhornfan42 said:
I accidently installed two operating systems on both hardrives and i dont want it that way.I was trying to delete the old partition(something like that) when i accidently installed another one on hardrive2.Is there anyway and can take everything off the drives and start over?How would i go about doing this? And i dont want to take it to a repair shop.

Well - firstly yey for Longhorn!

You can use the Formatting Tool on Windows XP Install CD - once its finished formatting just switch off the computer so it can't install Windows!

Use a boot disk, then format both hard drives...

format c: /q /u
and

If you really want all the content gone (Partition and all) use fdisk and remove all partitions.

Then install your OS, assuming you are installing 2000, XP, 2003, Longhorn then the installer will create a partition and format it with the file system you choose.

Bit ahead with the Longhorn comment!

Wow - what is it again, 5Gb? On a DVD installer! Mmm mmm; Kalthorn wants some Longhorn luvin'. As far as I've heard it loads itself up on the RAM and installs as you go through the options.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Bit ahead with the Longhorn comment!

Wow - what is it again, 5Gb? On a DVD installer! Mmm mmm; Kalthorn wants some Longhorn luvin'. As far as I've heard it loads itself up on the RAM and installs as you go through the options.
Then you must have some fat RAM!

lol! not all 5 GB would go on; but most of the stuff which would be used in that short time - control panel and such like - and thinking that by that point 516 would be commonplace; they could probably stuff a huge amount on the Graphics Card and there would be lots of people - especially buying computers with Longhorn preinstalled who would have 1 and 2 GB Rams!

Zharvek said:
Use a boot disk, then format both hard drives...

and

If you really want all the content gone (Partition and all) use fdisk and remove all partitions.

Then install your OS, assuming you are installing 2000, XP, 2003, Longhorn then the installer will create a partition and format it with the file system you choose.

Yeah, FDisk is your answer for a full deletion of everything on a hard drive. Thats how i do it when i screw sometihng up and install more that 1 OS (which ive done a few times, Damn Windows 98 :mad: )

If you need help, just ask, it really isn't that hard to fdisk :)

Back
Top Bottom