128mb vs. 256mb video cards

GRamirez

Baseband Member
Okay, what's the advantage of having a 256mb video card. No game uses that much. Not even a game like far cry. And if agp video cards need more memory don't they just use the main system memory.

Well 256MB is always an advantage because it offers that bit extra memory. AGP cards don't use the system memory because it would take longer.

The more space you have in your video card memory the faster it loads, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is correct. Also you should ask which ones cheaper and which one comes with the free game.

More memory space equal faster loads times = FALSE!!!

256 is always faster then 128 = FALSE!!!

If you are using a computer primarily for gaming everyday applications then you aren't going to see an advantage using 256 over a 128 meg card. Their performance is almost identical.

Where 256 megs of memory is most effective is using programs like Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, also when using multi-monitors.

In the gaming world there is no advantage of using 256 over 128. And if you don't believe me take a look at Tomshardware.com for the data and the testing.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html

I disagree killerdoberman-it depends on who programmed the game and the way it uses video memory. If the video memory is addressed from the game by just loading code into the card-Id say no.
But some programers use video memory as a cache or ram drive in which case speed would be improved.

GRamirez said:
Okay, what's the advantage of having a 256mb video card. No game uses that much. Not even a game like far cry. And if agp video cards need more memory don't they just use the main system memory.
First ? is NO
It's a different kind of "memory"
So update as needed."128 video ddr' works for me if you mean video as opposed to system
512 DDR mbd system works in sync with it.not to mention setting dma options.
Then theres dxdiag.
And the beat goes on.
:D

Back
Top Bottom