Linux Questions

Oh, well thats suprising.

Up with Windows Server 2003! Bloody Sun Microsystems can only moan about it for so long! Yey for appeal, yey for Microsoft, and down with Sun Microsystems - maybe they'll be brought out by Microsoft and become Sun Microsoft! Then just sucked up entirely into Microsoft Servers. We can only hope.

This is one of the many things which put me off Linux and think they're a little bit silly. Distros? I have only one Phrase to answer with that - '20 Half a Millimetre Nails stuck in someone's back is Acupuncture; but 1 Centimetre Nail stuck in someone's back is murder.'

distros is short for distrobution.

there are so many distros because a lot of companies have taken the original linux source and modified to to suit their own needs.

as for differnt distros for more than one comapny, well thats really just version number like windows 89 98SE etc...

if you could round up enough interested people you could make a computer forums distro.

I'm saying Sun are evil! They sued Microsoft and started an Anti-Trust case on the basis, and I quote: 'Microsoft have used Windows to get into the Server Industry' - thats not a good reason! Starting off a case that has meant very long appeal cases and could, unlikely but could, give more Windows Code, remove Media Player from Windows, and make Microsoft pay £300 Million in reparations to stupid companies like Quicktime and Real Player!

oh I've never used a SUN server running an actual sun OS, just one usine true Unix 64, (which I'm told is pale in comparisson...

The only thing that puts me off of sun is the way everything seems to be built around tha java VM.
I mean for gods sake stop it, it needlessly slows down machines!

What I like most about sun is the way they send me every few months informing me of their new products!

root said:
distros is short for distrobution.

there are so many distros because a lot of companies have taken the original linux source and modified to to suit their own needs.

as for differnt distros for more than one comapny, well thats really just version number like windows 89 98SE etc...

if you could round up enough interested people you could make a computer forums distro.

I knew what it stood for; I was making a point.

Lol! I would be wasting my time - if we start a distro then somebnody else could take the code - do nothing to it - and sell it on for £20 in a small town computer store where people don't know it should be free! It would be a waste of our time, even my worthless time.

I stand by my original comment - with one Linux company people wouldn't do the same thing dozens of times, locking down the code would mean people can't steal it, and working as one may be a slight problem for Microsoft instead of being just an annoyance.

root said:
oh I've never used a SUN server running an actual sun OS, just one usine true Unix 64, (which I'm told is pale in comparisson...

The only thing that puts me off of sun is the way everything seems to be built around tha java VM.
I mean for gods sake stop it, it needlessly slows down machines!

What I like most about sun is the way they send me every few months informing me of their new products!
Its over the Java VM which Sun was trying to sort out between Microsoft; Microsoft's Windows Server 2003 uses .NET and the hugeness of Microsoft would mean that Sun would have to go to .NET and stop Java or have all their users taken away from them. They want Microsoft to use Java on the Windows Server - hopefully the Appeal will last long enough for Sun to be damaged so badly that the Appeal will win and Microsoft will have crushed Java and Sun completely! Hussar!

David Lindon said:
It wont be able to run Msn on Linux. It will play games but I am not sure whether the speed would be different.

..The new version of Gaim supports msn, yahoo, aim, zephyr, napster, jabber, irc, and TOC.

Back
Top Bottom