Windows XP SP2

Update

UPDATE:

Received XP Service Pack 2 beta through the post from Microsoft last week, just installed it.

Looks good, took about 30 mins to complete the install. A big dialog box pops up during the install insisting that you decide whether or not to turn Windows Update on or off. The install doesn't continue until you decide. A nice feature is that you can decide what time of the day it looks for updates, so you can set it for night-time, if you use your pooter in the day alot, so it doesn't intefere with what you're working on.

The new Windows Firewall looks impressive, if not a bit tempremental, it especially doesn't like you turning it off! But Norton recommends that you turn off all others if using theirs, so I did.

The new v5 Windows Update site is much improved from v4, much easier to use.

Outlook doesn't allow images to be displayed, supposed to be a security/anti-spam measure.

There is a 'Security Center' on the control panel, where you can control the firewall, automatic updates, virus protection and Internet/system options, has a nice interface.

All in all, quite a good service pack, messed my Internet dial-up up though, but other than that it installed very well. The full release should be in the summer some time.

By the way, is anyone else on here a member of the Microsoft BETA testing team like me? Kalthorn?

I wish I was; I haven't been able to find where I can sign up to it though - I searched for it for days once but eventually gave up on the idea presuming you had to work for them. How could I sign up?

Lord Kalthorn said:
Wow, looks very good indeed. I hope I can sign up!

Try beta.microsoft.com

Do what I did. Sign up, you are asked to complete a few questionnaires about the things you might be interested in. They add you to a list, and eventually they e-mail you with stuff you can get involved with. It's quite a long process, but if, like me, you're interested in watching/helping things develop, it's well worth it.

Originally I didn't see the BetaReq thing; so that may have been why, but after I put it in twice without the capital letters, then I put it in right. I don't know which it didn't like - but the first was probably why. Bit annoying really!

Back
Top Bottom