Linux Questions

mikk0090

Solid State Member
I have heard alot of good things about linux, plus the price is so much nicer than Westealyourmoney soft. I have seen screenshots of the layout, and it looks alot like mac o/s.

my question is that, will Linux run internet games designed for windows? and efficiently?

will i be able to use such things like MSN messanger?

i would just like to have general information about Linux o/s.

i have a Gateway comp that i want to make into a linux box, im going to buy a fresh HDD for it, and load linux as the sole o/s. The computer is pretty nice, i got it for free becase it didnt have a HDD, 2ghz, 400mhz FSB, 512DDR ram, 8, i repeat 8 usb 2.0 ports, lol, Super drive, so it was pretty nice for FREE and its faster than this comp, but i have no HDD for it, so im going to guy buy a new one, and Linux.

Which version of Linux should i purchase with my new HDD?

It wont be able to run Msn on Linux. It will play games but I am not sure whether the speed would be different.

is linux oferall more user friendly? Is it more customizable then Windows? Im really getting fed up with windows, and i can load MAC on my gatay so im looking into Linux.

Hmmm, I don't like you're Westealyourmoneysoft comment; but a nice piece of kit to get for free.

Its not as aesthetically pleasing, and you won't get half the programs to work on it, but for you I would recommend it. You seem like one of those people who would be happy with Linux.

Lord Kalthorn, i asked or advice on Linux, not on my personality. Seems if someone elses opinion is different from yours, then their opinion has less value, or is wrong.

ditto to you, your comments were an opinion, and just cause his opinion is different doesn't make it any less valid.

There are certain people who just don't get along with linux.

The price is less, yes very much less since you can download most linux distros for free, (well under GPL actually) (when you buy it you are actually buying support - which microsoft give away for free,
(which is the lesser of the two evils? designing a bad OS and making you pay for updates, or designing a bad OS and then giving updates away for nothing?)

If you are just looking for something to run an internet gateway or some servers etc then thats probably good for you.

No linux won't support most games, there is a program called WINe that emulates the windows API and hence allowxs you to run some Microsoft specific products, but games generally require DirectX which is microsoft specific and cannot be emulated...

therefore if you want to play games linux probably isn't your best choice...

For customisability, Both windows and linux have many shell skins and programs to help do it, they are both as customisable as each other.

as for the we steal you money soft comment, rember that microsoft has intelectual property rights over their code and charge for their own work, wheras linux distrobuters charge for a product that by law is free. - who do you think is the more thieving/devious?

mikk0090 said:
Lord Kalthorn, i asked or advice on Linux, not on my personality. Seems if someone elses opinion is different from yours, then their opinion has less value, or is wrong.

It was not an attack on your personality; it was a reasonable reply to your question. I recommended it to you? That is fair isn't it. And if you take 'You seem like one of those people who would be happy with Linux' as an insult then you won't want to use Linux. Nothing I said was an insult, and if it was misconstrude as such I apologise.

root said:
ditto to you, your comments were an opinion, and just cause his opinion is different doesn't make it any less valid.

There are certain people who just don't get along with linux.
Again, I didn't say your comments weren't valid; I did actually attempt to help you on the road to Linux by recommending it to you.

root said:
The price is less, yes very much less since you can download most linux distros for free, (well under GPL actually) (when you buy it you are actually buying support - which microsoft give away for free,
(which is the lesser of the two evils? designing a bad OS and making you pay for updates, or designing a bad OS and then giving updates away for nothing?)
'designing a bad OS and then giving updates away for nothing' is the lesser in my opinion: but I am not entirely sure where Windows comes into that question!

root said:
No linux won't support most games, there is a program called WINe that emulates the windows API and hence allowxs you to run some Microsoft specific products, but games generally require DirectX which is microsoft specific and cannot be emulated...

therefore if you want to play games linux probably isn't your best choice...
WINe?! Is that not illegal? Because it must use Windows Code which is not reusable by anybody but Microsoft?!

root said:
For customisability, Both windows and linux have many shell skins and programs to help do it, they are both as customisable as each other.
Whereas many people would have you believe Linux is far more Customisable.

root said:
as for the we steal you money soft comment, rember that microsoft has intelectual property rights over their code and charge for their own work, wheras linux distrobuters charge for a product that by law is free. - who do you think is the more thieving/devious?
Sounds to me like Linux are the more devious. Due to the fact that Windows is a far superior (for home users, just to point out that in the comment so I don't ruffle any feathers) Operating System, and is therefore worth the up to 80 times more money paid for it. Indeed - to get Linux on a new computer costs more than to get Windows on a new Computer.

No, WINe isn't illeagal, you still have to pay for the software you use though, so if you have office installed you do have to buy an office license.

People think that linux is more customisable because instead of just changing the skin of the shell you can change the entire shell!
Whilst you can't change the entire shell of windows you can skin it so much and overlay applications that interact with shell functions that you'd think you were useing a different shell (but thats cheating)

I think insome cases Linux is better, but I wouldn't imediatly outline it as best in the server market entierly.

In fact after having used each windows server from NT 3.5 and up and having used linux servers from redhat 7 and up, Suse 8 and up and mandrax 9 and up. and debian 3.01... (just pointing out I've not only used one distro, I'm taking all linux major players into account)

I'll firmly say that windows 2003 is possibly the nicest most powerfull server to date. I'd even say it was far better than any linux distro at the present.
(notice how that statement leaves me open to change my mind later)

In my last post I missed one important linux distro out, DEBIAN. It's possibly one of the best linux distros out there, it doesn't cling on the back of windows (like mandrake does - though thats not necessarily a bad thing). DEBIAN is not only free to get, but also free to update, all updates are provided free...

For a truely free OS try Debian linux, the only problem is the learning curve is about five times steeper than with any other distro.

Back
Top Bottom