accessing a password protected external hard disk drive

ah excellent. See, i was so preoccupied by the fact that the drive doesnt actually open, rather its more like a car cd player, where you slide the cd between two sponges, that i didnt think about the actual spec on the product. Simple things. God help them if they had coloured the plastic of the drive pink or something, LOL

Wow, nice, I had a crappy old 3 Disk CD Changer which went at about 4 Speed once - the CDs were in cases and they popped out. But nothing like that! Very nice indeed!

God help them if they had coloured the plastic of the drive pink or something, LOL

Nothing wrong with Pink Drives!

sadly this doesnt have the changer part like a car, just the very cool drive front! A pink drive would have rocked my world but beggars cant be choosers! Not sure pink works with the black and silver laptop casing anyway! Not even sure how fast this goes, more than 4 speed for cd writing, i know its 2 speed burning dvds, but much faster for CDs. Ive yet to experiment, i was in awe at the speed :p

Yeah! If its a couple of weeks old it will be about 20+ Write Speed for CDs - but then again I only know about Computer Writers; I'm not a laptop person really!

yeah I must have read the spec before i bought it, it will be a decent speed anyway, my old one wrote at 4 speed so anything better would be a vast improvement!

Lozling said:
Youre ok, Ive got myself all sorted now. I had almost got the the answer myself but a bit of an extra nudge from someone with know how meant i could claim ownership of the entire hard drive, thus disabling the previous user accounts on the hard drive. Yeah i would rather nice internal hard drives i have to say, but having a laptop makes that hard, however i have a nice new 60GB internal hard drive and this is a 20GB external MP3 and movie store. They are slower but USB 2 makes them bearable.
Actually i do have another totally unrelated question, how do i tell if my dvd writer is + or - or both? I cant see anything on the drive and so far poking about in the hardware settings has proved futile. Also a wee explanation of what the difference is would be nice, probably all very obvious stuff but im a girl with a laptop, nuff said :p

Hi there, I have no idea how old these post are, I just found this forum, but if you're still reading I could use some help as well. I guess a couple folks didn't understand what you were asking at the start of this thread, but I knew exactly what you were talking about from the start because I'm there right now. When I access the drive, I can get to almost everything on it, but when I try to copy/open "My Documents" I get a message saying "not accessable access is denied". Like you said, if it would just ask me for the old Windows password here, I'd be golden, but it just says NO NO NO. PLEASE tell me how you took ownership of the drive and made it where you could access these, I've got to use some of these docs at work tomorrow, and it's going to make for rough going if I can't get to these.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for any help!

JW

*EDIT*

I got it! Nevermind. On XP Pro, you have to disable file sharing first before the security tab is visable. Once I got that it was all gravy. Thanks anyway if anyone read this :) .

Back
Top Bottom