Maxtor Formating Warrior!!

ronstaa

Solid State Member
Hi all,
I have a question for you all, bought a Maxtor 160GB ATA Internal Hard disk NEW.
Bought one of those External Hard disk case things connections via USB.
Great plugged it all in and whala, at this stage I placed the Jumper on the last position which is the (Cap Limit) spot. So then checking Disk management Disk 2 showed up which was correct but it showed only 30GB Basic Online, still with me?
So stupid decided to go ahead and partition the 30GB. I got to the part where it asked how much of the 30GB I would like to partition so I typed in 20GB don't ask me why I chose 20GB must of been the late hour and to much coffee.
Great it formatted the 20GB then it left me with 10GB to also format. So now I have 2 partitions one 20GB and the other 10GB.
Step two I disconnected the drive and pulled the Jumper completely of the hard drive so remember I do not have the Jumper connect now.
I reconnect the Hard disk to the PC.
Checking Disk Management Disk 2 showed up with the 20GB and also 10GB partitions Formatted and working Healthy, then next to that 92GB showed up Unallocated strange, before with the Jumper on (Cap Limit) it didn't show 92GB Unallocated.
So next step I Formatted the 92GB. Fine now I have there Partitions total of 128GB why? What happen to the other 30GB or so???
Yes it was formatted using NTFS settings. Could this be also the problem that I chose (Primary every time when partitioning the GB)????
I'm running Windows 2000.
Yes I checked the Hard Drive and made sure that it was a 160GB, even checked the code number with Maxtor.com and yes it is suppose to be a 160GB.
PLEASE HELP EXPLAIN GUYS.....
Sorry for the lonnnng explanation...

Thanks Ronstaa

Hi Again
Did some investigating after posting the novel and found out that the Q Tec case I bought only supports up to 128GB no matter how large your HD Disk it will always show up 128GB. So there you go dont buy the Q Tec Product if you have over 128GB HD Disk.

I answered my own question....

Ronstaa

Glad you got it sorted.

My bro has a Q-Tech, more trouble that its worth. I would advise next time you need a new pc, make it yourself ;)

ronstaa said:
Hi Again
Did some investigating after posting the novel and found out that the Q Tec case I bought only supports up to 128GB no matter how large your HD Disk it will always show up 128GB. So there you go dont buy the Q Tec Product if you have over 128GB HD Disk.

I answered my own question....

Ronstaa
Glad it is sorted :)

Back
Top Bottom