New RAM

patbuzz86

Solid State Member
I have a computer with 256 MB PC2100 RAM (2 dimms of 128mb) on a MoBo that only has two slots. I want to upgrade and was thinking of buying one stick of 512MB and ditching one stick of the 128MB bringing the total amount of ram up to 640MB. Would this be ok or is it not good to mix two sizes. If it is ok to mix them - Which slot should the 512 go into and which should the 128 go in to. i have a compaq Pressario 7000 - if that helps -- it is a compaq mobo i think -- if that helps to answer the question any.

patbuzz86 said:
I have a computer with 256 MB PC2100 RAM (2 dimms of 128mb) on a MoBo that only has two slots. I want to upgrade and was thinking of buying one stick of 512MB and ditching one stick of the 128MB bringing the total amount of ram up to 640MB. Would this be ok or is it not good to mix two sizes. If it is ok to mix them - Which slot should the 512 go into and which should the 128 go in to. i have a compaq Pressario 7000 - if that helps -- it is a compaq mobo i think -- if that helps to answer the question any.

Like David said, you should be ok mixing different Ram sizes, but check first to see how much your mobo can handle. If you need a program to help you see how much your mobo can handle, then THIS is a good one. :)

Also, dont forget that when you buy the Ram, get the same speed e.t.c. Ram as you already have, so PC2100 in your case, this should bring performance levels up :)

Hope this helps

i know my mobo can support 1GB of ram - surprisingly but is there a max per slot or something that i need to know about

if it is 1gb total the max per stick would have to be 512mb.In my old computer the biggest amount ram had to go in first cause i had 2 slots as well.

patbuzz86 said:
i know my mobo can support 1GB of ram - surprisingly but is there a max per slot or something that i need to know about
Yeah, there is usualy a max per slot. Consult your mobo book.

Back
Top Bottom