The good mistake ...

Iowa

Fully Optimized
Well, you all know that I installed and got Linux running ok on that computer right? You know, 233Mhz 6GB thing ... yeah, that one. Just before install, I FORMATTED the whole Hard Drive, and cleared ALL partitions on the thing, so I could let Linux have the run of the Hard Drive. There was NOTHING ON IT - I checked myself. The thing was clean of all Data. After install, it booted up, and gave the option between "DOS" and Linux. So, I thought ok - DOS is from Linux - I remember there being a version of DOS on the Linux disk. I chose Linux, set up a new user account with no problems, yadda yadda.

Today, I test out a live CD I downloaded (KNOPPIX) and that ran ok. I then exited it, and restarted the computer, since I was bored and thought I would have another little play around with Vector (the Linux on the HD). Thing is, I made the WONDERFUL mistake of forgetting my username and Password (just shows how unorganised I am). So I restarted.

Thinking I was screwed, I realised I could run Windows XP Pro on it, cos I have the CD. I went on the net to find out what the requirements were for XP Pro - to see if it was compatible. Meanwhile, there is a timer ticking down on Lilo waiting for me to make a choice. The timer ran out, and "DOS" was highlighted (it does that by Default). It then, booted up Windows 98. O.O

I was amazed - I formatted the HD before hand. Nothing was on it - during the install of Linux, it asks you to type in how many MB I wanted to give to the main Linux Partition and the Virtual Memory partition - I made it so the whole Hard Drive was in use - the whole 6GB was being used by Linux and nothing else. Anyways - Windows 98 runs PERFECTLY, everything runs on it ok, and the partition it was using was quite happily stuck with only 649MB. I mean, what the? I somehow managed to Dual Boot Windows and Linux on the same HD, without knowingly so. O_O

- Rocker -

Oh well - kinda funny though - I always was considering dual Booting a system, but wanted to try a clean install first ... so, uhh, yeah. O_O

Back
Top Bottom