Harassed/ investigated thru Internet Forums

I foyu look around the other posts, wow. They blatantly name names, persons etc.
I certainly am not one of those.

Yes the others are quite blatant. But the particular post I sent is vague, ambiguous, and does not refer to people by name.
All the others, are very flagrant.
Anyway that is the gist of the underlying problem.
I guess they don't like to be the subject of an arm chair quarterback

David Lindon said:
The only way they could get your name from an IP is to contact your cable company and get them to check their records.
This seems very over reacting but then again, I don't know what you wrote.
You could get a new Ip for yourslef but I am sure the cable company will have records.
I suggest just sort it out with an appology or something.

The ISP can't give out personal details by law!! Unless the person looking for the information has a court order or that there is a police investigation!
Which i seriously doubt they will go that far!

Ziycon

Ziycon said:
The ISP can't give out personal details by law!! Unless the person looking for the information has a court order or that there is a police investigation!
Which i seriously doubt they will go that far!

Ziycon

Thanks for the info.
Z, I was just a little concerned that the following scenarios could play out:
1) Someone contacts the Site Administrator, and they release the IP address. Or
2) The ole' "I know somebody at the service provider, they will get the info without any need for subpoenas, you know on the "side".

I don't know how far they will go. But If there is NO criminal act, which in this case there certainly IS NOT, who knows what will happen.
I do know that even if a name was mentioned, it may fall into slander or libel, But these are civil acts, and would be persued in civil court. Plus it's a tough item to prove. You need to prove how such a statement prevented you from getting something, or how it caused you to lose something. Otherwise, we'd all be going to courts EVERYDAY for either what we think, or say.
George Orwell was not that far off my friend.

Y'know, based on this experience I will probably NEVER have another opinion on this agin. It's not worth it.
Your 1st amendment rights disappear when you work here, and there is LITTLE recourse when YOU yourself are wronged.
It is truly a Dictatorship.
My thoughts, which I guess I'm mistaken, were mine.
What I choose to voice, away from the workplace, in the privacy of my own home, on a forum established for open communication, WITHOUT slandering or libeling ANYONE, should have NO impact on my job perfromance.
I never let my political (workwise) views get in the way of performing my job. Which I might add I do exceptionally well, with no questions as to my work ethics, performance, reliability, and trustworthiness.

I hope this all goes away, and I will crawl back into my own little bunker and go to work, and go home. END OF STORY!!

I'm still worried over this. I have gotten so many diff opinions on this subject. Yours are certainly taken into account and I thank you for all your assistance. I could use it. Somebody compared this to the RIIA, where they could get access to IP's simply by asking. But my reply was the RIIA was a criminal matter, dl'ing material is a sensitive issue now.
Even though I don't agree with that. But that is a diff forum. My scenario is simply sharing public info, which is not protected by anything. Except those who don't want ti shared.
Perhaps my situation is summed up as an indescretion, a lapse of judgement, or a brain fart!
If the roles were reversed, I simply WOULD NOT go to any lenghts as to outing someone, not for this.
I guess we'll see. I may pick an atty's brain over this. For piece of mind. Not sure what to do.

If you were the admin of this or any site, and someone reached out to you and said "listen, I'm the pres of such and such, do me a favor, what's the IP address of poster John Doe?
Would you do it?
according to the owners of the boards, they said the admin ahs access to these IP adresses, BUT, if they did readily give them out, and they found out about it, it would be a violation of the terms of service.
Then I would have to assume EVERYONE else on the site would be in danger?
I really freakin hate all this. I need to learn how to keep my opinions to myself, and forget that we live in the USA while I'm employed.
This is truly a Dictatorship, and you will be persecuted for independent thought.

jade said:
I'm still worried over this. I have gotten so many diff opinions on this subject. Yours are certainly taken into account and I thank you for all your assistance. I could use it. Somebody compared this to the RIIA, where they could get access to IP's simply by asking. But my reply was the RIIA was a criminal matter, dl'ing material is a sensitive issue now.
Even though I don't agree with that. But that is a diff forum. My scenario is simply sharing public info, which is not protected by anything. Except those who don't want ti shared.
Perhaps my situation is summed up as an indescretion, a lapse of judgement, or a brain fart!
If the roles were reversed, I simply WOULD NOT go to any lenghts as to outing someone, not for this.
I guess we'll see. I may pick an atty's brain over this. For piece of mind. Not sure what to do.

If you were the admin of this or any site, and someone reached out to you and said "listen, I'm the pres of such and such, do me a favor, what's the IP address of poster John Doe?
Would you do it?
according to the owners of the boards, they said the admin ahs access to these IP adresses, BUT, if they did readily give them out, and they found out about it, it would be a violation of the terms of service.
Then I would have to assume EVERYONE else on the site would be in danger?
I really freakin hate all this. I need to learn how to keep my opinions to myself, and forget that we live in the USA while I'm employed.
This is truly a Dictatorship, and you will be persecuted for independent thought.
It really depends on the type of owner. They won't give IPS out to just anyone, and even if they do, they won't get your name unless they get a warrant of some kind.

Actually dave, its not the owner I am concerned with. I am employed by a State Agency. I am a member of a Union. It is the Union Pres. I am concerned over. He can be a vindictive individual, who takes thing personally. Probably the sort who in school had their lunch money taken, now they are a big wheel. That is my concern. The pres of the union is voted in for life, never been opposed, and if you thought about trying, you would be ostracized, and left out on a limb. While these may sound a little overboard, I assure you they are close to the truth.

jade said:
Actually dave, its not the owner I am concerned with. I am employed by a State Agency. I am a member of a Union. It is the Union Pres. I am concerned over. He can be a vindictive individual, who takes thing personally. Probably the sort who in school had their lunch money taken, now they are a big wheel. That is my concern. The pres of the union is voted in for life, never been opposed, and if you thought about trying, you would be ostracized, and left out on a limb. While these may sound a little overboard, I assure you they are close to the truth.
Wow, you are in a very worrying situation. I feel for you.

Back
Top Bottom