Laptop Hell!!!

jon01782

Beta member
Hi all,
In need of some quality advice. I used to be a keen follower of the IT industry but have lost touch. I am looking to buy a laptop...please dont run away! For those who are still reading here it is. I have about £1500 to spend, could possibly go a little higher if needs must.

I am completely out of date on what is hot and what is not, i.e. chipsets, graphics, sound, memory, displays (I have noticed some new types are available), HDD's, LAN etc, etc.

Of course I want the best for my money, that is to say; fast, reliable, great graphics and reasonable storage. Not sure about these DVD burner jobby's, +,-, whats the crack. I really havent got the time to look into it in great detail so I was wondering if any budding experts out there could give me some ideas, and possible IM chat about it.

HELP ME TO SPEND MY MONEY WISELY PLEASE!!!!

I am fanatical about getting the most for my money when it comes to computers. Its fine to have a great spec on paper but no good if it is going to keep going wrong.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,
Jon

My recommendation would be to go with Dell. They are very good at speed and reliability but if you are looking to get some speed, it will have to be a desktop. Then you will have to build a custom machine with top graphics etc.

I would have said get an Alienware, but then actually saw you have £1500 and not £15000 :p

I would go with David on this one. Dell laptops are very good from what ive seen (though i cant say about them on games as i haven't seen one running them).

A good idea would be to go to your local computer stores, take allok at the laptops, and any that you think are good, post the specs here and we will help you from their. That way it saves you having to figure out of the specs are any good, you just post them here and we will tell you :D

Would you believe it?

Can't blelive you 2 have said Dell. I was looking at a Dell when I wrote my HELP note.
It is the Ispiron 9100 with the following (as I would spec it);P4 3.00GHz with Hyper-Threading running 800 MHz front side bus, Modular 4x DVD+RW Drive with decoder software, 15.4" UltaSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA TFT Display resolution: 1920x1200, 512MB 400MHz DDR RAM (2x256), 40GB HDD, ATI Mobility RADEON 9700 - 64MB, TrueMobileTM 1300 Wireless Mini-PCI card 802.11 b/g, Intel® 865PE Chipset with Dual Channel Memory support, Modular optical drives, Ports: VGA, DVI-I, S-video out, 4 x USB 2.0, IEEE 1394 Firewire, InfraRed (IrDa v.1.1), RJ-11, RJ-45, One type I/II PC Card slot, Internal 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN, Internal 56Kbps V.92 modem …few! So for £1500 am I in the correct area???

Only reason I looked at Dell was the fact they are advertising so much in my area. Who says that marketing doesn't pay. Anyway, that's it. Genuinely value your opinions on this chaps and will more than likely act on them!

Quick question though. DVD burners? What do they mean by modular and what is the difference in + or -???

Re: Would you believe it?

jon01782 said:
Can't blelive you 2 have said Dell. I was looking at a Dell when I wrote my HELP note.
It is the Ispiron 9100 with the following (as I would spec it);P4 3.00GHz with Hyper-Threading running 800 MHz front side bus, Modular 4x DVD+RW Drive with decoder software, 15.4" UltaSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA TFT Display resolution: 1920x1200, 512MB 400MHz DDR RAM (2x256), 40GB HDD, ATI Mobility RADEON 9700 - 64MB, TrueMobileTM 1300 Wireless Mini-PCI card 802.11 b/g, Intel® 865PE Chipset with Dual Channel Memory support, Modular optical drives, Ports: VGA, DVI-I, S-video out, 4 x USB 2.0, IEEE 1394 Firewire, InfraRed (IrDa v.1.1), RJ-11, RJ-45, One type I/II PC Card slot, Internal 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN, Internal 56Kbps V.92 modem …few! So for £1500 am I in the correct area???

Only reason I looked at Dell was the fact they are advertising so much in my area. Who says that marketing doesn't pay. Anyway, that's it. Genuinely value your opinions on this chaps and will more than likely act on them!

Quick question though. DVD burners? What do they mean by modular and what is the difference in + or -???

That is a fine laptop.( almost wish i had some money to get one of them :)). I haven't actually seen many around better than that that aint an alienware. That should do basically anything you want it to do and quite well
:D

Sorry, cant help you with the DVD Burner question but im sure someone can on here ;)

Back
Top Bottom