freeserve broadband internet - speed problems

mark lupton

Beta member
hi

I'm using a broadband internet connection in the UK - freeserve. Speed is okay - for a while. After machine has been on for a while - say more than an hour - page download really starts to slow down. Rebooting tends to fix the problem.
Anything else I can do to improve the situation?
Anyone else got any comments on freeserve - is that the problem?

mark lupton said:
hi

I'm using a broadband internet connection in the UK - freeserve. Speed is okay - for a while. After machine has been on for a while - say more than an hour - page download really starts to slow down. Rebooting tends to fix the problem.
Anything else I can do to improve the situation?
Anyone else got any comments on freeserve - is that the problem?

Hmm. Freeserve is renowned for decent service. What are the specs of your comp? I also had a problem like that ... thing is, I was using a 233Mhz Processor at the time. Sometimes a simple internet connection can lag a computer up quite a bit. Also, are you using any Messengers at the time? It's suprising how much Bandwidth they can take up.

Probably because you have an old computer and the RAM is filling up with taks/web pages. What are you specs?

Yeah it certainly does sound like a Computer Problem. The difference in speed between even a 2 year old computer and mine now on Broadband is amazing - I wouldn't have imagined the speed of it now even with the same bandwidth on the old computer. Freeserve are very good indeed, I've had absolutely no problems with it at all and I've had it for almost 8 Months now!

Hi - thanks for feedback

computer is just over 18monthd old
80mg harddrivve
1.67 ghz prcessor
480mgb of ram

should regularly clearing history and disk clean up help?
anything else I could do?

Yeah, sounds like the best idea, but there's still a point as to how fast its going to go - downloading and uploading takes a huge amount of power to organise each of the threads and the lines and situate on the hard drive. I don't really know what to do beyond that.

Back
Top Bottom