Looking for html help with a downloading link attribute

Jammie

Solid State Member
Hi, I am trying to make a website, for myself and I have seen some webpages that have links that let you download stuff, programs, documents etc.. to user's computer.

What I have is this newletter that I would like to the form of a link, so people can click it then have the newletter downloaded to their computer.

Does someone know how to do this? I am learning HTML at the moment. If this can be done in html, all the better

Thanks in advance.

If you put the newsletter on your website; in a general format that anybody would be able to use (for instance if you have Word XP or 2003 and have made the newsletter in it then downgrade the saved version into Word 97 or 95 version) and then just link the hyperlink button to the file on your website. When they click it; they'll go to a new page and their computer will download the file to view in Word. Then all they need to do is save it on their computer.

Yes you are right I was looking for a way for people to download something from my website. I will be putting the newletter in MS word and Wordperfect format. Thank you very much for telling me how to do that. Also for pointing out that I should make the documents available in lower versions this is something that I had not thought of.

I will try this tomorrow Lord Kalkthorn and let you know how it work. I think you sir.

Cant you just upload the file, to a directory on your webspace, and then just create a like from the page to it?

Some html like this:
<a href="URL*"></a>

*url like http://www.yoursite.com/folder1etc/folder2etc/newsletter.doc

Here is other HTML examples for links, not sure how relevent these are to your problem but here they are anyway:

<a name="NAME"</a>
creates a trareget location withing the document

leading to...

<a href="#NAME"></a>
That links to a target lockation from elsewhere in the document, in this case your website.

Hope I have helped and not just posted something completey irrelivent or crap ;)

Jez

Jammie said:
Hi, I am trying to make a website, for myself and I have seen some webpages that have links that let you download stuff, programs, documents etc.. to user's computer.

What I have is this newletter that I would like to the form of a link, so people can click it then have the newletter downloaded to their computer.

Does someone know how to do this? I am learning HTML at the moment. If this can be done in html, all the better

Thanks in advance.

Is the advise working; or did you want something more fancy?

Umm Okay...

Well okay if you uploaded your document to your server you would just link it to there. Say it was called blah.doc well you would do something like this:

Code:
<a href="blah.doc">Download Here!</a>
That's if it is in the same directory. Say you have a directory named "Downloads" and you put it in there. Well you would have something like this:

Code:
<a href="./Downloads/blah.doc">Download Here!</a>

If you are trying to do an off site download to another server and say the server link to the blah.doc was "http://www.whatever.net/Downloads/blah.doc" you would do something like this:

Code:
<a href="http://www.whatever.net/Downloads/blah.doc">Download Here!</a>

Back
Top Bottom