The Advantages and Disadvantages of Dual Booting Windows and Linux?

DevilHack said:
Hmm... Well it's a good thing that the cookies are encrypted, but I am starting to think that the passwords are held in a .log or .txt file...
Nope, you are way off!

Rocker said:
Well ... I've been thinking the same thing over the however many days this thread has been going ... this is afterall a Dual Booting thread, yet is has turned into something rather different ... doesn't matter though ... I asked people at LinuxISo_Org for all imformation I needed and they happily helped ...

Ah! Well good! At least it was sorted out.

How does it work now then? Linux and Windows I suppose? how do you decide 'Hmmm, Windows or Linux?' Before it boots up? Just a Choice menu I suppose?

patbuzz86 said:
so is it a good thing to dual boot or not?!

It really depends on what you want to do with the Computer - if you want Windows 3.1 and XP on there then its useless - if you want Windows and Linux on there (as oh too many do!) then in makes perfect sense.

What were you planning?

Lord Kalthorn said:
Ah! Well good! At least it was sorted out.

How does it work now then? Linux and Windows I suppose? how do you decide 'Hmmm, Windows or Linux?' Before it boots up? Just a Choice menu I suppose?

Kind of. Basically, when your computer boots up, it stops, and basically gives you 2 choices - Boot Windows or Boot Linux. Simple use the Up and Down buttons to select which one, and press Enter. You'll then get booted up into either Windows or Linux - depending on your choice. Simple as.

Rocker said:
Kind of. Basically, when your computer boots up, it stops, and basically gives you 2 choices - Boot Windows or Boot Linux. Simple use the Up and Down buttons to select which one, and press Enter. You'll then get booted up into either Windows or Linux - depending on your choice. Simple as.
Yep. Or just have the two hard disks and change jumpers to which you want to boot from, or use a boot disk for both OSs like me.

David Lindon said:
Yep. Or just have the two hard disks and change jumpers to which you want to boot from, or use a boot disk for both OSs like me.

Yeah, I have never had any great need for a Dual Boot - but I'll have to remmember most of that if I want to ever in the future! It does sound interesting - the Dual Boot Floppy Disk idea seems like the best idea!

Back
Top Bottom