PC confused about HD, maybe bios/cmos?...

Swirll

Beta member
through a friends PC, i had my hard drive formatted, and WindowsXP installed on it... Now when i bring it back to my PC, it wont boot... it's found, when detecting IDEs... but then i get "Press A Key To Reboot" when i try an older, smaller, harddrive, it boots up just fine... but not the one with XP, could bios/cmos be the problem?

desperate, but too poor to buy a new HD lol

thanks

If its regestered in the BIOs then its nothing wrong with those things - as it boots on another Hard Drive. Maybe the person deleted some critical Booting files from the Hard Drive. What I would do is put in your Windows CD and see if it goes through the system like that loading from the CD. If it loads up, then you can just fix your installation of Windows by pressing the button it tells you. That should work.

If it was done through your friends comp then there will probably be some hardware error/conflict if you then try to use it in your computer. You would probably have to re-install on your comp. Does that drive boot in your friends?

David Lindon said:
If it was done through your friends comp then there will probably be some hardware error/conflict if you then try to use it in your computer. You would probably have to re-install on your comp. Does that drive boot in your friends?

Sounds like the best idea! If its new its even more likely to have conflicts whereas your older Hard Drive won't. Yeah - just remaster Windows without doing anything to your files! Its a win win windows situation!!

Back
Top Bottom